repairing rot at screw hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repairing rot at screw hole

I have a 1997 2150 WT. just bought it. The screw holes for hinge of motor cover at the floor are rotted out. I have not yet cut out that area of carpet to determine extent of rot, but I'm thinking it's limited to the immediate proximity of the hole. Any of you dealt with this and if so, how? Thanks.

Scott

MarineTex is a 2 part epoxy type bondo putty. it can be tinted and will be as hard and as strong as the original gel/fiberglass. Be sure to get all the rotten junk cleaned out and if possible, use a backing plate for added strength.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I used to have a 1997 2150. For that boat, you need to check a couple of other places. If it was me, I would pull up all the carpet to make sure I got everthing.

Check the area around the drivers seat
      Check the area to the left of the engine cover(look from back of boat forward)
      Around the ski pylon

I had to have these places redone as there was alot of softness.
      If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

HIJACKED!!!!!!!!!!

I just found a soft spot in my floor that I just got redone. Didn't notice it during the rehab. Gotta pull the carpet up now to fix it it's always something with a boat, but that's life
        "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Thanks Guys. Great advice. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it rings true.

Comment

Hinge

You might be able to replace the screws with SS machine screws, fender washers and nylock nuts.

Comment

I did what Chpthrl recommended but without the place. I just filled in the holes, let it dry and then re-drilled and put screws back in. Just did it this season, so don't know how long it will last.

Comment

i used the Marine Tex and redrilled. seems solid. We'll see. That's good stuff. Thanks.

Tigerider

Comment

Man, when I saw this thread title, I was REALLY afraid to click. Sounded like a yeast infection.

Please forgive me, I don't know where that came from. Lord, I apologize.
                  http://wake9.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                    Man, when I saw this thread title, I was REALLY afraid to click. Sounded like a yeast infection.

Please forgive me, I don't know where that came from. Lord, I apologize.
                    ROFLMAO

Comment

Working...
                    X