Revving engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revving engine

All, When I bring the boat back into the dock, there are times where the engine will rev to 1500RPM and stick there for a few secs when I go into neutral. It does not happen all the time and is always when I shift out of forward. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Also, a stupid question - how do you rev the engine without putting it in gear? The only way to move the throttle forward is to pull up the ring underneath (which engages the transmission.)

Thanks

The pivot point of the throttle lever is a button, pushing that in will disengage the trans but allow you to give the engine throttle. You still have to lift the ring, so it is a two handed operation.

Comment

What engine do you have.

Comment

return to idle

I've had the same thing happen on my 04 22i with the 335hp FI vortec. Sometimes I'll pull the throttle all the way to the neutral posistion and it will stay at higher rpm's for a couple of seconds. Anybody have any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by FIC View Post
          What engine do you have.
          Exact same as hubdawg and we seem to have the same issue.

Comment

I noticed my perfect pass wasn't working and found a wire that goes to the throttle servo disconnected. I did a servo test and haven't had the reving problem since. I think it was the throttle cable hanging up on the side of the carb. Dont know if you have PP but that might be part of it

Comment

No, I don't have PP, but thanks for the diagnostic... might just be the throttle cable sticking... something to look at.

Glad that yours is fixed!

Comment

Wrong

Okay, scratch that idea, it happened again twice last time out. I'll continue to try things and let you know.

Comment

Sounds like a bad TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor). Don't ask me where that is tho...just guessing from similar issues I've had on my trucks.
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Have you got any further with this? I to have noticed this with my 2004 switch 20i. Exact same thing bring it back to neutral and over revving for a couple of seconds. Could be serious if you try to reverse quickly.

Comment

Nope and it happened when I had to reverse quickly last week... a nice grinding while having to get her in gear.

Only happens every so once in awhile, but it happened at a bad time for sure.

It seems like something is sticking... throttle cable or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X