Gator Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gator Grip

I took the plunge and ordered GG for my swim platform. The stock black rubber continues to BLEED after three years and makes a MESS of the boat. Very POOR design IMHO.

In any event, I removed the two stock rubber strips off the platform and there is glue residual left. I need to remove this glue. Any idea's as to what might be the best way to do so?

I'll post pix once the GG is installed.

Best, Paul

Originally posted by flyboy View Post
    I took the plunge and ordered GG for my swim platform. The stock black rubber continues to BLEED after three years and makes a MESS of the boat. Very POOR design IMHO.

In any event, I removed the two stock rubber strips off the platform and there is glue residual left. I need to remove this glue. Any idea's as to what might be the best way to do so?

I'll post pix once the GG is installed.

Best, Paul
    yeah, Ozone is the biggest contributor the the breakdown of the rubber, same way your windshield wiper fall apart in 6 months with only .5 dozen rain showers.

3M Adhesive Remover is by far the best.

Gator Grip , I'm going to do my swim platform soon, the little Tige "e"'s are rough on knees, etc.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks ...I told Chris Foye @ GG that he may be getting a few more calls from Tige owners

I already have the 3M spray on adhesive.....only makes sense they make the reverse product as well.

Comment

Fly - I just bought two rolls from Chris as well. He told be that the backing is a self-sticking material, you don't need to spray on the 3M adhesive if that's what you were going to do. I think this will be a good weekend to put mine on as well. Post up some pics as you do it.

Comment

I hear ya....I bought the spray-on 3M for the carpet that keeps falling off

I should have the GG on by mid-week..boat's still in storage. I'll post pix in due time.

Bets, Paul

Comment

In the name of bandwidth, I'll post the process on this thread.

I ran around town and could not for the life of me find 3M, so I ended up buying "GOOF". Tried it on a small corner and the all clear whistle blew. I have not received the GG yet, so I'll post the progress as I attack it.

Glue came off pretty easy. I let it sit on a small area for a minute and then used a PLASTIC scraper and a rag to remove the glue.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by flyboy; 05-08-2008, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Fly, I was thinking of laying the old "e" mat on the new GG to use as a template. What do you think?

Comment

^^^ That's what I was going to do
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Dan and Christy View Post
                  Fly, I was thinking of laying the old "e" mat on the new GG to use as a template. What do you think?
                  I saved the mat's and plan on doing the same. Or ask the wife to do it and blame her if it's all screwed up

I'll have a better idea once I see the GG. I may also consider laying out one long piece? I see no reason to have that bare strip in the middle. Those pix above are only half of the deck btw, but you probably already knew that.
                  Last edited by flyboy; 05-08-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

I wanted to do on strip as well but the longest GG is 5', much too short for a single run. When I spoke with Chris he told me to lay the GG on it's front and to cut the back of the material.

Comment

It's a lot cutting carpet, easier to cut from the back. Also use a Sharpie to draw on the adhesive backing.

Comment

Clean that platform up after the Goof. The Goof leaves a film that needs to be removed with alcohol or similar cleaner.
                        http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
                          Clean that platform up after the Goof. The Goof leaves a film that needs to be removed with alcohol or similar cleaner.
                          Will do!

GG arrived today ..No directions or tips for the first timer ...I sent an email to Chris to see if he has any words of wisdom before surgery commences.

Pix to follow.

Comment

Response from Chris....Always timely

Paul,

I haven't thought about instructions. But, that is actually a good idea.

here are some tips.

1.) Make a template out of cardboard or paper and transfer the template to the backside of the material. (make sure you have the orientation correct)
                            2.) Make your cuts from the backside with a utility or xacto knife.
                            a.) Place the material onto some flat surface, preferably a sheet of plywood so that you can bear down on the blade a bit.
                            b.) New blades made a cleaner cut.
                            c.) Use coffee cans/etc to make corners
                            d.) Use a straight edge for making long straight cuts
                            Measure twice cut once.
                            3.) Clean your surface prior to applying the Gator Grip
                            4.) Peel the backing off and apply Gator Grip.

Notes on applications:
                            Swimdecks: 1.) If you have a textured swimdeck cut the material a little oversize to get the material to stick to the flat smooth area of the swimdeck.
                            2.) If you don't have enough material to cover the width of the swimdeck here are your options.
                            a.) create a seam but, butting two pieces together.
                            b.) create a pattern such that you have spaces across your swimdeck
                            c.) add in another color to create a design or pattern
                            transom savers: 1.) If you have to go around a radius try to get as much material as possible after the radius
                            The material will shrink a bit due to sun and water so, it'll want to pull.
                            2.) If the material does pull up, use some contact cement to get the material down.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to call or email

Chris
                            916-803-1335
                            cfoye@yahoo.com

Comment

Nice project - you'll be pleased w/the upgrade.

You guys are all over it - remove the left over glue w/whatever works for you and prep w/alcohol or similar.

The GatorGrip is easy to cut either w/utility knife or your wife's best scissors... ;-) Use the black pieces you removed as templates - trace on the paper side of the GG.

I've used GG on two boats and have experienced minimal shrinkage - I'd say maybe 1/16" over a two foot span. Nothing to get upset over, and no one but the installer will notice. I've not had any of the GG adhesive give up, and it's been on my first boat for prolly ten years. Quality product.

This link should show pics of my install: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ighlight=Gator

T*

Comment

Working...
                              X