Seasonal Battery Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ggalbraith View Post
    I don't disconnect any wires before charging. The battery tender has a connection that you place under the screws on the battery and then just plug it in like and extension cord or you can take out of the boat and trickle all winter. I live in Abilene, Texas and keep the two battery charger on my batteries all winter. Just run an extension cord to the charger and leave all winter. I use the waterproof ones on my jetskis all summer when not in use. They sit on the dock and I just plug them in and go home. It makes the batteries last longer and always easy to start. So far I think the battery tender chargers are one of the best buys I have made, especially the ones for the jetskis.
    Thanks,

W/ the battery tenders do you have to take the other wires off? or is this where the battery switch comes into play? Not sure about this part.
    Dale
    2000 21i Tige

Comment

Seasonal Battery Charging

I don't disconnect the wires. I just turn the battery (Perko) switch to off and attach charger. Never a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
        Thanks,

W/ the battery tenders do you have to take the other wires off? or is this where the battery switch comes into play? Not sure about this part.
        No, I leave everything attached. I can just turn off everything on my battery switch if I need to, but I don't usually do that either.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Its a bit more expensive, but I have 3 batteries in my pontoon, due to the fishing motor. I have a 3 bank tender, conditioner that is really slick. There is a AC plug on back of boat, when I put in warehouse, I just plug it in. There is a bank of lights for each battery, and it doesn't just trickle, it conditions each battery separately and has 5 LED lights per battery for status. Very cool. I will be installing a 2 bank one on the Tige at 225 service, or in the fall. If I find the link for this unit, I will post it.
          http://wake9.com/

Comment

Found it, this is what I have.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-.../DP10-3se.html

And I plan on this for the Tige.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-.../DP10-2SE.html

These are the 10 amp sportsman models. 10 amp is nice if you plug in after being stored for a long time, and almost dead, they charge up fast, but yet it will trickle, if needed for long term storage.

The pro has 15 amp, and more pricey. My guy recommended this one, made sense to me.
            http://wake9.com/

Comment

thanks guys. Very much appreciated.

Ragboy, the dual looks like what I am looking for. I found a couple like this that I think will work. Just wasn't sure about removing the wiring. I will need a switch for the 2nd battery so that seems to be the way to go anyway. I just wanted a tender that work take care of everything w/out needing ME to do anything, less stuff for me to screw up.

Thanks
              Last edited by TRD; 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM.
              Dale
              2000 21i Tige

Comment

Check out Bass Pro or Cabelas. Either one of their mid line onboard chargers will work well. They are computer controlled so no cooking the batteries. They only give what is needed, and condition when not needed. I use the Bass Pro 3 bank on my bass boat batteries and they have lasted 2 years longer than they ever have before. Plus it is ready to go when I am. I have a two bank on the Tige, but I just put it on this winter. Battery is always charged and I dont do anything but plug in when we get home.

Comment

Working...
                X