Replace Bilge Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Bilge Pump

I have an '01 2100V with a noisey bilge pump. I decided to attempt to change it while de-winterization (this past weekend). The closest I was able to get to it was feeling it under the oil pan from the starboard side . It is obvious that when the boat was built, Tige started with a bilge pump and placed the rest of the boat around it. So - the basic question is has anyone have the experience of replacing this thing? If so, I would appreciate any tips, including model of a new pump.

Thanks!!!!
    atlcajun

The pump is secured with a screw to the bottom of the bilge. It's usually right under the V-Drive. I ended up moving mine to the back of my boat next to the rudder because we take on water when we're surfing and then when we start up again, it automatically drains.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Thanks, Dogbert. Interesting you say your pump was under the drive unit. Looks like mine was originally installed in the rear, which is where it needs to be, but mounted directly under the oil pan! There's no way I can get a screw driver to the top of the pump as there's barely a half an inch between the top of the pump and the oil pan. I would think my best bet a this time is to just mount a new pump in a better location, cut the hose and wiring loose from the old one, and reconnect to the new one. Just leave the old one there to rot. Your (or anyone elses) thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by atlcajun View Post
        I would think my best bet a this time is to just mount a new pump in a better location, cut the hose and wiring loose from the old one, and reconnect to the new one.
        If you use a different pump you'll probably need to rewire it anyway.
        Here's an article on pumps - http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

I replaced the factory pump with 2 Rule Gold series pumps/float switches. Each pump is on a separate battery (main/aux). Both are mounted next to the transom. The 2nd pump is on a spacer a little higher than the first. I used a gray plastic electrical box for each that provided a place to mount a switch to test the pumps & manually override the float switch. I also replaced the tiny factory thru-hull fitting and used larger hoses. The hoses are routed upward from the thru-hull then down to the pump to help prevent water from coming in.

At the very least use a better pump than the wimpy factory pumps.

Comment

Thanks R&T. I read the article and found it very informative. I especially enjoyed the following line in the article: “The pumps should not be located under the engine where you can't see or reach it.” Are you listening Tige’? I’m hoping the practice of mounting the bilge pump under the engine has been changed…

Comment

Thanks R&T. I read the article and found it very informative. I especially enjoyed the following line in the article: “The pumps should not be located under the engine where you can't see or reach it.” Are you listening Tige’? I’m hoping the practice of mounting the bilge pump under the engine has been changed…
            I have two Tige's boats right now and both are in the bilge and NOT under the engine. So, they have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
              I have two Tige's boats right now and both are in the bilge and NOT under the engine. So, they have heard.
              Hey da it sounds like you are looking for a third with the tone of your bilge statement. he he

da.'s Slightly used Tige Emporium.
              Open 7 days a week. Donations accepted.

j/k

Comment

Originally posted by 1Lab_trainer View Post
                Hey da it sounds like you are looking for a third with the tone of your bilge statement. he he

da.'s Slightly used Tige Emporium.
                Open 7 days a week. Donations accepted.

j/k
                no third needed or welcomed at this point..

Comment

It's possible the previous owner moved it.

I would just disconnect the hose and wires from the old one and leave it there. It's not going to hurt anything if it's disconnected. Then I would install the new one where you want it to go (hopefully someplace easier to access).
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Possible previous owner moved it??? they would've have to remove the engine to install it in it's current location. There's another post where someone has the same boat with the pump in the same location. I think it was just an oops at the factory for this run of boats. No big deal, though. I appreciate your suggestions and going for it. I'll let you know if I run into any problems...
                    Last edited by atlcajun; 04-17-2008, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link, sure made me think. Bilge pumps are much cheaper than my boat, I think I will add another this spring. Cheap insurance.

Comment

I recently replaced mine and it was rather difficult to reach, but replacement may not be as hard as you think. (mine wasn't under the engine)

Most of the pumps have a removable housing, it's the base of the pump that is screwed to the bottom of the boat. There are two plastic tabs that need to be depressed to remove the pump body & housing from the base, once released you should have the slack of the outlet hose and wiring to pull it in more accessible location. If that is possible you simply loosen the hose clamp and pull discharge hose off old pump and install on new pump, disconnect wire connector and plug in new wire connector, snap new pump into old base still installed on the bildge floor. There should be a wire screen in the base to keep out debris, make sure that isn't lost or knocked off during the replacement

Hope this helps.
                        I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

This guy had the exact deal I'm facing. Can u screw a bilge pump anywhere in the floor if I want to move it? I don't feel like taking on water through screw holes just to test my pump lol.
                          2000 21V Fox Riders Edition
                          2007 Chevy Duramax crew cab short bed

Comment

Your hull is about 3/4 inch thick. You can use 3/8 screws and a dab of silicone under it. You can also still buy the same pump. It snaps out of the bottom screen and you can snap in the new one. I bought mine on ebay last year. I would suggest a second pump as the ones from the factory are only 500gph. I put in a Tsunami 1200 for a back up.

Comment

Originally posted by laserfish View Post
                              Your hull is about 3/4 inch thick. You can use 3/8 screws and a dab of silicone under it.
                              Just my opinion, but I would not use a blind screw (meaning one that doesn't penetrate the hull) to install a bilge pump. Tightening the screw will introduce stresses in the fiberglass of your hull. Not exactly what you want. If you don't tighten it enough the pump won't be secure; if you tighten it too much you could pull out some of the inner fiberglass and now you have a weak spot.

I would instead use a good marine adhesive to hold the pump base to the hull. Probably yield a stronger mounting anyway, with zero mechanical issues to the fiberglass. Again, just my opinion but I think it's a good idea to not weaken the hull of a boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X