Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Change Your Impeller (Mercury Engine)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When pulling off the belt how do you make sure you get the correct tension when putting it back on?

Thanks,

Tip

Comment

Thank you for writing up this article. This didn't take that long and saved me some $$$.

Comment

I am would also like to know what proper tension is on the belts? Any rule of thumb?

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
          Thanks Matt,
          Does this info also hold true for a 2005 24v ?
          X2 ^^
          "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

Help with 1998 PRE 2002 impeller change

I have an old school Tige, with pleasurecraft marine engine, I believe a 350, rated at 310 H.P., Holley 4 barrel, engine serial #385046. I need to change the impeller, please give advice, any instruction would be great. I see the "how to" section, but on much newer models and different modifications, to chevrolet blocks. Does anyone know of an old how to on this one?
            Grateful for any help

Comment

I'm trying to order a replacement on the ingternet. I'm totally ignorant to this....would a mercury part number 59362 1 be the same as 59362T1. Common sense tells me that it should work, but again, I must plead ignorance!

Comment

Just trying to put mine back together and I ended up taking all of the five bolts off while it was mounted in the boat.. Don't ask me how I got to the 5th one.. Anyway.. I couldn't really note which one went where since I was working blindly so putting it back is going to be a little more of a challenge.. with the exception of putting the the impeller in the housing and securing that to the pulley before installing it again. Anywa.. so for those of you that I haven't lost with my jarbled post.. I was just wondering if there is a way to ensure I put the right bolts where they go... And there are only two that hold it to the bracket on the motor.. Right? Thanks for the help if anyone can.. I got it all out.. just wondering if it is going to be just as bad to put that $hit back in... Oh yeah.. does it matter which end goes into the impeller first? Should I mount it on the spindle that connects to the pulley and then put the housing on it and secure the three bolts and then install it? So many questions.. the thread has been very helpful though.. So thanks as always!

Mike

Comment

Alright.. all hooked back up... don't worry about wasting time with a response... As always, thanks for the help.. I read some more forums and figured it all out.. trial and error helped too...

Comment

Bigger hammer.
                    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Has anyone found a write up on changing the impeller on a direct-drive? I just bought a '97 Pre 2150 last year and am about to do all pre-season maintenance.

Some articles and maintenance manual recommend replacing gaskets and o-rings. Looking at the parts catalog on mercury's website, it looks like the gaskets are part of the water pump assembly while the impeller kit is a couple screws, washer, an o-ring, and the impeller itself.

My main questions are:

1) Do I need to replace gaskets and o-ring along with the impeller? Previous owner changed impeller every 2 years religiously. He never mentioned gaskets or o-rings.
                      2) Has anyone found a write-up for the direct-drive version of this job? The maintenance manual makes it sound pretty complicated having to loosen all the pulleys that the serpentine belt wraps around and then re-tightening to a torque spec.

Comment

Eharm,

First off, welcome to the site, I see you're all over it with questions so try the search feature first. There are several write ups on impellers, fuel pumps, etc... throughout the site but to help with your immediate questions, here you go:

REMOVE THE SEAWATER PUMP to replace the impeller. Use a 5/8" deep socket and loosen the adjustment pulley on the upper right of the engine as you're facing the front of the motor, rotating it down so you can remove the belt. Remove the belt. The seawater pump is located in the bottom left corner of the front of the engine as you look at the front of the engine. Loosen and move the hose clamps aft on the back of the seawater pump hose connections (sometimes this can only be accomplished after the next step but it must be done prior to pump removal). Use a deep socket 9/16 with appropriate extensions and remove the nut on the stud and bolt below it on the seawater pump bracket that attaches to the front of the engine (both must be removed to remove the pump). Wiggle and jiggle the pump off the hoses and the front of the engine at the same time. TAKE SPECIAL NOTE HERE!!!! The pump impeller housing is PLASTIC!!! Be very careful removing it from the pump body and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, YOU WILL CRACK THE HOUSING!!!

Also take note of the pump orientation to the bracket, it is important you do not change this or you'll reverse the water flow direction. The pump housing is indexed to the pump body and both are indexed to the bracket. Remove the pump housing and also take note of where the nuts are located, photos are the best option. Replace the impeller with Globe manufacturing model 2001 so you never have to do it again.

Install reverse of removal.
                        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                        X