Installing Impeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Impeller

What direction do I need to turn the impeller when I am installing a new one?
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

The housing has marks indicating the direction of rotation. Mine are on the end you would insert the impeller into.
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

It that true on the MP engines? I know that is the case with Mercury.
      Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Have you already pulled out the old one? I just made sure I folded the vanes the same way when I put the new one in. You could also have someone tap the ignition to look at the direction of rotation if you already have it out.

Comment

I pulled the old one out in Aug so I can't remember which way the vanes go, that is why I ask.
          Winston Churchill

Comment

I have the MP 6.0 and I am in the middle of trying to get the impeller out. It rotates clockwise looking at the front of the pump. How did you get the impeller out of the housing? Did you use the impeller removal tool or just pry it out? Which MP engine do you have?
            My pump has 4 small bolts that hold the cover on. Remove the bolts and the cover and o-ring come off.
            My impeller has 10 fins. Do you know what the replacement part number for this impeller is or who makes the pump?
            Lots of questions-just want to get it right...
            Last edited by TigeDuner; 03-02-2008, 04:57 AM. Reason: looking in a mirror

Comment

I used 2 of the $0.50 paint can openers, they slid down easily between two vanes and then I slid a long screwdriver through the loops and pulled on it like a handle and the impeller slid out. It is a mayfair/johnson 09812b, that is according to lee in this thread.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...2575#post72575

Comment

The impeller in the other thread has 12 vanes and the one in my pump now has 10. Do I have a different pump, wrong impeller, or does the number of vanes not matter?

Comment

I read somewhere that the vanes will flip over to the correct direction when you start it if they are in wrong. I can't vouch for whether or not that's true, but I did read it when I was going through this on mine. Take that for what it's worth.
                  Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Yep. Just squish it in. It will turn the right way after .0003 seconds at 800RPM.

As far as vane count, I don't know. I would think size and fit were more important, and in some cases 10 might be better than 12.
                    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

The Marine Power 340 takes a Johnson 09-812B, which is a 12 vane. It's a tight fit, so you might as well put it in correctly. If you're facing the front of the engine, you would turn the impeller "right" or clock-wise as you're putting it into the housing. On a v-drive, if you're laying on top of the engine facing towards the back of the boat, you would turn the impeller "left" or counter-clockwise (which is the same direction, you're just facing the back of the engine). TigeDunner, when you pull your impeller out, it should say what brand and model number on the hub.

Comment

I am trying to install the new impeller without taking the pump off the motor. The housing has 4 screws that held on the cover. The cover of the pump reads:

ITT Jabsco
                        Hoddesdon, U.K.

50410-1401 04G

This is off a 2005 MP 380HP engine with the closed loop system.

I could not see any other numbers on the pump, but then again, I didnt know where to look.

Comment

I found my pump on the Jabsco website. For those who have the same pump, below is the link to find out more info.

http://www.jabsco.com/files/50410_fip_bro_flange.pdf

Here is the site to get the impeller:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...9303&id=146904

or here is the Globe impeller that you can run dry for 15 minutes:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...9302&id=140904

I think I am going to try the Globe.
                          Last edited by TigeDuner; 03-04-2008, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Don't forget to get a new gasket too. Mine was white foam and actually tore in a couple places when I pulled off the cover.

Comment

These pumps have a pretty healthy o-ring, but would still be good practice to replace it while it is open.

Comment

Working...
                              X