Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an 08 22ve and removed the seat box and found a Hurth Marine ZF 45 IV model. I see two screw off dip sticks that are very accessible. How do I proceed and what type of oil should I use for this model. I figured the 06 wouldn't be much different than the 08. I keep hearing about a filter or screen that needs to be cleaned, where is that located? thanks for all the help!

Comment

First check to see what oil is in them. One dipstick is the V drive and one is the transmission. The v drive takes 30w and the trans will either have atf or 30w. You should be able to tell by the color of the fluid. I always just suck the oil out through the dipstick hole and refill. There is a screen but I have never cleaned it. Looks like a pain to get to.

Comment

x2 - I have 30 wt in both of mine

I had the same questions and emailed Tige, here is the response:

Yes Marine Power changed it to 30 weight motor oil.

DEALER: Waterski Specialty
        REPRESENTATIVE: Tony Fussell

FIRST NAME: Cody
        LAST NAME:
        ADDRESS:
        CITY:
        STATE/PROVINCE:
        ZIP/POSTAL:
        DAY PHONE:
        E-MAIL:

CUSTOMER INTERESTS
        -----------------------------
        CURRENTLY OWN A BOAT:
        CURRENT BOAT OWNED:
        Boat Interest: 22 Ve
        HEARD ABOUT TIGE FROM: Internet/EmailSEND BROCHURE & DVD: No

COMMENTS
        -----------------------------
        I bought my boat used and I am preparing it to take out. I was getting ready to do fluid changes. I have the ZF tranny and v drive. It says ATF only but it looks like there is a 30 weight oil in there instead. I have heard that at the factory the were putting 30 weight in instead of ATF to quite them down. Can this be confirmed? Should I drain it and put in ATF or go with what is in it? If not the ATF what should I be using?
        Thanks,
        Cody

Comment

Called Tige and they confirmed the 30 weight for the v-drive and tranny. No drain plug on the 08 22Ve, so I am told to pump out thru the dip stick holes. Any idea on how much is to be added or recommended. the fluid is so clear I can't tell on the dip stick, so before I started pumping out the old, thought I would ask advice. Like my daddy always said "you want to hurry up, slow down"

Comment

Originally posted by skindog44 View Post
            Called Tige and they confirmed the 30 weight for the v-drive and tranny. No drain plug on the 08 22Ve, so I am told to pump out thru the dip stick holes. Any idea on how much is to be added or recommended. the fluid is so clear I can't tell on the dip stick, so before I started pumping out the old, thought I would ask advice. Like my daddy always said "you want to hurry up, slow down"
            I would see where the level is before you start, then put back in the same amount you pull out.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by skindog44 View Post
              I will need to look, but it seemed like the first time I did 2 qts in the tranny and 1 qrt in the v drive. I don't know if the '07 is different then the '08. I measured what I took out. I took some apple juice bottles and marked them at 1/2 qrt intervals. Measuring by the dipstick when filling, not looking before hand emptying, is not accurate. The boat is not level. They do have bleeder values so if you put too much in then it is forced out. Makes a mess.

Comment

I only have 100 hrs on my boat, and changed the v-drive oil with the 20 hr service at the dealership. This time I'm doing it myself (affects of the recession-or me just being cheap!). The fluid is soo clear, I'll just pump out and put in the same amount that was removed. Any tips on the filter or screen cleaning?? Anybody know if that needs to be done or where to find it on a 08??

Comment

I checked the transmission fluid level on my 22 ve tige. The fluid level was okay.
                  Does this need checked frequently. The cap has a rubber stop but does not thread on and
                  Seems somewhat loose. Is this normal.

Comment

Or if you half sink your boat from waves coming over the bow like I do

-------------------------
                    Nothing Is Perfect TV Shows but We Still Strive for Once Upon a Time Season 2 DVD

Comment

(if you dont use anti-freeze) from the trans cooler when you winterize.

------------------------
                      We Creat New Fashion for DVDs, Running for Your Desired Supernatural Season 8 DVD

Comment

Wow, just checked my tranny and vdrive levels when i was changing my steering cable. The tranny dipstick didnt show any oil!!! freaked me out. Just to confirm, t vdrive stick is t closest one to the bow and t tranny is closer to the engine, and t tranny takes 2 quarts and t vdrive takes 1. both 30 weight. Please confirm before i put t seat box and floor back in.

Comment

Not directly familiar with your Hurth unit but each transmission and v-drive seems to have its own method for checking fluid levels. Some want the engine running, some want it off, some want you to shift forward-reverse in a specific sequence before measuring, etc. As an example, my PCM transmission must be checked with the engine on and the transmission in neutral, but after at least one shift into forward and reverse. Checking it with the engine off yields an artificially high reading, which means that during operation it would be a bit low on fluid.

Check the manuals for your specific devices and do what they say.

Comment

Tranny is the dipstick closest to the engine the v-drive is the closest to the bow.

2 quarts for the tranny (but I monitor the quantity as I pour it in I have a really hard time getting all of it out it usually only takes 1.5 quarts

1 quart in the V-drive don't have a has hard a time getting it all out but sneek up on the quantity.

I have ATF in my tranny and SAE30 in my v-drive why cause that is the way I got it. If I remember correctly the ZF manual says to check the quantity without screwing the dipstick back in just dip and check.
                            Last edited by acropilotbret; 02-04-2013, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for t tip on not screwing in t dipstick to check t levels. T fluid i removed was atf, but tige said to put 30 weight in both. I dont argue w lee! Any problems if u got alittle too much in there? it would simply bleed out, right?
                              Thx again!

Comment

I need to get the v-drive and tranny fluid changed this spring. Does anyone have a picture of the tranny and v drive that can label both of them for me? I have an 06 24ve with the MP340 engine. My boat is 2 and a half hours away so I need to have everything ready to take with me when I do the service. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X