New steering cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New steering cable

Does anybody have any helpful hints for changing a steering cable? Is it difficult?
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Search for steering cable here on other threads....it's a pain, and lee says on a V drive it's a dealer-do.

Mike
    Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
      Does anybody have any helpful hints for changing a steering cable? Is it difficult?
      If you have a V, I would say, like hoopy, its a dealer job.
      Common Sense is not so Common
      Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Jason B
        I just replaced my steering cable, I have 01 21 V limited.
        It was not to bad at all. Make sure you order the right steering cable. I order what I pulled out and it was wrong.
        1st you will want to undo it from the rudder and the engine mount.
        2nd. you will want to tie a nylon string on the cable and pull it out from the steering area. It comes out relativly easy. (this cable runs under your fuel tank) then do every thing the the reverse. One note I had a little trouble getting to go in that 4 inch hole in the steering compartment. I pushed in as far as I could toward the rear of the boat, which is not far. The I started pushing the cable towards the box. Once I started getting to go forwards towards the bow I felt it lay down and I was able to start pulling it back to the engine compartment. I had one hang up right at the end of the fuel tank, so I took a 8 ton ram- the one with the fingers that open up. So I lifted the tank up may be 1/8 inch I was able pull it on through.
        So I hope that helps,
        Let me know if you questions.

Sam
        15 Escalade ESV-Black
        08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Just changed one in a 2004 20v. Hardest part was having to break the fuel tank loose and wedge it up off of the hull in order to get the new cable under the tank. I heard that tige starting holding the tanks up higher off of the hull after 2004. They must have had too many complaints as this was definately a design flaw. If I had to do it over again I could do it much faster, but it took me about 8 hours the first time.

Comment

I just changed mine about a month ago. I couldn't get the old cable out without draining and pulling the gas tank out. I tried unbolting it then sticking some wooden wedges under to prop it up - still no good. So, I ended up cutting the old cable in half and pulling it out through either end. I routed the new cable right on top of the tank and it worked fine. Steers great now.
            Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Comment

samw -

"Make sure you order the right steering cable. I order what I pulled out and it was wrong."

I think our boat is similar to yours. What did you mean by the "right" cable?

Comment

thanks

Wow. I'm not really down with pulling up a gas tank. Sounds like a dealer job to me, unless I can route it over the gas tank with no problem. I'll have to dig in a bit and see if that's an option first.
                Seems to me like over the gas tank would be a better way to go anyhow so that the cable was more out of the bilge water? Should last longer that way maybe?
                Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

I don't know if it will last longer. The cable is sealed, but has an opening in the rear and that's what gets corroded.
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I don't think it will last any longer with it routed over the gas tank, but it will definetly make it easier to change next time.
                    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Comment

R & T
                      I pulled out aTeleflex 12417. That was the same part # that I ordered. The rack would not fit. I had to reorder a 13417 that had the correct rack for my boat.
                      Sam
                      15 Escalade ESV-Black
                      08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Samw - I can't seem to find a Teleflex 13417 cable listed anywhere. The 12417 is a 17ft "old style" cable. Did you replace just the cable?

Is your helm a rack or a rotary? Ours is a rotary. Tige may have changed it from 2000 to 2001.

Comment

Yes I have the rack system not the rotary.
                          I also bought it at Boatersland Marine.Com I got a pretty good deal. $93 shipped vs $180

Sam
                          Last edited by samw; 08-22-2007, 02:12 AM.
                          15 Escalade ESV-Black
                          08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

I just did it myself last week.

Ended up putting a few wedges under the tank and a crow bar just to get it to move a little - once it was free - it slid right under.

Also - to get to the steering shaft under the boat - take out the water pump (the thing thing that holds the impeller) once you get that out you can get to the steering arm that attaches to to the rutter.

It took me a few hours to do - but since the closest dealer is over 2 hrs away - ive been doing all the repairs myself lately.

Its been good - b/c 1 I know they are done right - and 2 if they break I now know how to fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by rob_and_trish View Post
                              I just did it myself last week.

Ended up putting a few wedges under the tank and a crow bar just to get it to move a little - once it was free - it slid right under.

Also - to get to the steering shaft under the boat - take out the water pump (the thing thing that holds the impeller) once you get that out you can get to the steering arm that attaches to to the rutter.

It took me a few hours to do - but since the closest dealer is over 2 hrs away - ive been doing all the repairs myself lately.

Its been good - b/c 1 I know they are done right - and 2 if they break I now know how to fix them.
                              Rob,

I think Triad Marine in Greensboro is the new Tige Dealer in your area. Not sure but trying to confirm. Send a PM to Tigeowners.com member junior (aka Randy Omalia). He is our area Rep and can put you in touch with them if needed.
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                              X