Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install new Pop-up cleats

Hey Guys,
    I got a killer deal on some new 6" pop-up cleats and want to install them on my 2003 20i. I am a bit affraid when it comes to putting holes in fiberglass, any suggestions on what to use? I have located 4 perfect places where I can get to both sides under the gunwale. It is easy to put the cleat up against the side, trace the holes i need to drill, now I just need to know what to use to get through it properly. Regular drill bits work? I need to drill two 1-inch holes and two 3/8 inch holes for each cleat. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by bake0296; 04-11-2007, 03:22 AM.
    ~Bakes~

drill bits in reverse with some masking tape over the area you are drilling. After you are through, camfer it with a rat tail or with a little larger bit.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

you can also use a hole saw. but make sure you use reverse until you get through the gel coat

Comment

After drilling 4 holes in my boat and doing research do as race fan says if using a hole saw. Go in reverse until through the gel coat. For holes with regular bits make sure the drill bit is sharp and go slow through the gelcoat. Kind of scary but after the first one is done the rest are easy. I noticed on my 24V that the cleats also had metal backing plates on the inside.
        Let it be!!!

Comment

Are you putting 1 on the bow? I've got 1 that i'm am thinking about putting in up there.

Take some pics.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have been playing with the idea of putting two more pop-up cleats on the front of our boat just under the hand rail, this will make it allot easer to dock/tie down. Post some pics when your done....
            Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

those will be bigger than the factory cleats.

Comment

I just got two of the smaller cleats last night and hope to be installing them tonight. I will be using a hole saw.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I am still trying to decide where to mount them so they will be most usefull (like when tying up to other boats). I am thinking I will put the rear two on top of the gunwale near the very rear of the boat. I don't know about you guys but my boat sits extreemly low in the water and when tying up to other boats, it would be useless to have a cleat on the side where a bumper can't hang properly to protect the side of the boat. My buddy has a Super Air Nautique and they have rear pop-up cleats on the top of the gunwale and his bumpers work much better than mine. I think the front two will go either on the top of the gunwale in front of the (front most) tower post or on the side of the gunwale under the windshield (postioned a little father forward than where the driver sits). Probably whatever I can get to easiest. Like I said, I am trying to position them where rubbing on other boats/piers is most common. I will take some before and after picks as I go. I also am getting some "snowboard stomp pads" custom designed for the top of the gunwale for a step down grip. www.stompdesign.com The other project in operation is securing my rear tower mounts. From the factory the rear posts are simply bolted (with a 1.5" hex bolt) in the gunwale with nothing underneath to hold them secure (SO DUMB). I have bought new hex bolts 2.5" and am cutting a backing plate which I can use with locking nuts to secure the mount. Simple things like this should be taken care of before a boat leaves the factory, Tige...

Besides, I have nothing better to do since we are getting *** rammed by a shitload of snow, what the F*#$! It's April come on! Check out the weather map over wisconsin...
                  Last edited by bake0296; 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM.
                  ~Bakes~

Comment

I thought Tige built thier boats w/ reinforces gunwales where the tower legs go? Still cant hurt to add a backing plate tho. Mine has a metal plate in the fiber glass.

If you mount the cleats on the upper surface, keep in mind they may get real hot in the sun. For this reason, I have not decided on whether to mount a single cleat on the nose of the bow as Tige does, or mount 2 on the sides of the bow, near the tip, above the rubrail.
                    Last edited by chpthril; 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                      I thought Tige built thier boats w/ reinforces guneales where the tower legs go? Still cant hurt to add a backing plate tho. Mine has a metal plate in the fiber glass.
                      You always want to put a backing plate on anything that will have a lot of stress on it.
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                        You always want to put a backing plate on anything that will have a lot of stress on it.
                        I agree that if a DIY'er is adding a grab handle, cleat, tow ring, tower, etc that a backing plate is a must.

I guess my point was I was surprised that an 03 model boat had nothing more than a bolt and nut holding the tower on. My 06 has a threaded plate molded into the glass that will distribute the load across the gunwale just as a backing plate

Comment

Hey Guys,
                          So in the bow the bottom seats come out. You are then left with the backrests the backup to the front of the windshield and wrap around slightly... Anyone know how to take those out? I want to put a pop-up cleat on the gunwale in front of the front tower mount and behind the front seat backrests are cutouts for front speakers which would allow me to reach up behind the gunwale in that perfect spot. I just mounted the rear 2 pop-up cleats and they turned out great. This would help me finish the job. I am going to re-post this under a new thread as well.

Thanks
                          ~Bakes~

Comment

Originally posted by bake0296 View Post
                            Hey Guys,
                            So in the bow the bottom seats come out. You are then left with the backrests the backup to the front of the windshield and wrap around slightly... Anyone know how to take those out? I want to put a pop-up cleat on the gunwale in front of the front tower mount and behind the front seat backrests are cutouts for front speakers which would allow me to reach up behind the gunwale in that perfect spot. I just mounted the rear 2 pop-up cleats and they turned out great. This would help me finish the job. I am going to re-post this under a new thread as well.

Thanks
                            I cant tell you how they come off, but You could take a mirror and a flash light and look up behind the seat backs and may see how they are held on.

Good luck

Comment

Check this out for some ideas....

Mike

http://www.wakesiderides.com/tige/vi...cle.php?id=270
                              Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

Working...
                              X