This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packing change overview

I had to get back in the bilge, and my packing was leaking so I figured I would go ahead and put a dripless gor type in. I hope these photos can help someone.

Here is the dripless I ordered. I got it from http://www.skidim.com and it arrived in 2 days.

Read the instructions, it says to dig out the old, cut the new and put it in staggering the seam. I headed out to the boat and located the pin and proceeded to pull it out.

Once the pin was out, I was able to unscrew the packing nut by hand. Mine was pretty loose. I am sure it could have just been tightened at this point, but I was set on swapping it. I proceeded to dig out the old packing with a thin long flat headed screwdriver. A couple of lever pulls in there and the first layer came out.

The second did the same, but I had to grab it with some needle nose to remove completely.

Here is the old packing on the new gor bag. There was only 2 layers.

I measured the packing around the shaft, and also against the old, and cut it to length. After cutting I placed it into the nut. I could only get 2 layers in, and could not get the nut started with 3......believe me I tried.....alot.....sigh......

After that, I screwed the nut back in, and double hand tightened. I have some adjustment left, and I put the pin back in. I did not get a final photo, but that was it.

OK....hope someone benefits from this.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Great info, thanks for the pics and write-up
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks SP! I just tightened mine up last season. I will need to do this in the near future. This post answered a lot of my questions.

I was wondering about those PSS shaft seals? Is there any benefit?
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
        Thanks SP! I just tightened mine up last season. I will need to do this in the near future. This post answered a lot of my questions.

I was wondering about those PSS shaft seals? Is there any benefit?
        They are virtually maintnence free, no tightening or adjusting. I have had our 21i for 2 years and have not touched it.
        Common Sense is not so Common
        Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Nice write up Zad!

I forgive 10 of your hi-jacks

How did you know whether you needed the 1/4" or 3/16"?
          Last edited by Moki; 03-27-2007, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I didn't feel like measuring, and had guessed 1/4" so I posted "What size packing does my boat need? 1/4"??" to which Lee replied "yes, 1/4" for your boat". You can measure it as well. There are instructions on the GFO website.
            http://www.wakeboatworld.com
            []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
              Nice write up Zad!

I forgive 10 of your hi-jacks
              I appreciate that. Thanks. I do know something after all.

Comment

Interesting.
                Originally posted by G-MONEY
                It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

DUDE!!!! I was just about to write a post about having this problem. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this!!!!!

Comment

Awesome photography, very nice pics. Now we just need to see some one do the same thing for us Ve'ers. Not quite as accessable for us. Thanks for the info.
                    I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

Originally posted by scoot18 View Post
                      Now we just need to see some one do the same thing for us V'ers. Not quite as accessable for us.
                      I was just thinking the same thing
                      Everything happens for a reason
                      I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

Awesome photography, very nice pics. Now we just need to see some one do the same thing for us Ve'ers. Not quite as accessable for us. Thanks for the info.
                        I don't think you have packing in your boat. They use some sort of dripless nylon seal.
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                          I don't think you have packing in your boat. They use some sort of dripless nylon seal.
                          Newer boats have the PSS dripless, maintnence free packing.
                          Attached Files

Comment

newer boats as in starting in what year?
                            Everything happens for a reason
                            I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

Mine is a 2003 so I guess since then.. Im not sure if any earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X