Raptor 400 Impeller Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor 400 Impeller Change

Hey everyone, Here is a Video of how I changed the Impeller on my Raptor 400 Engine. Boat is a 2015 Z3. Perhaps this will help someone looking to tackle this job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8KkXYnRO6I

Thanks for the vid man! Ill be tackling changing mine next time I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sublimer23 View Post
      Thanks for the vid man! Ill be tackling changing mine next time I think.
      Sure thing! It’s not hard, the only challenge is just getting access to the impeller, but as you can tell it can be done.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and buy the $40 sea dog impeller puller, it makes this job so easy and won’t damage the impeller or housing like pliers or screwdrivers.
        I like to keep my old impeller as a backup in case I have an issue with the new one throughout the season. I replace mine yearly. For the cost of a $35-40 part I get the piece of mind it’s gonna work all year.
        Another tip, remove it during winterization and replace it in the spring, or if you cycle antifreeze through your engine just remove and replace in the spring, that way the impeller blades can’t take a set.

https://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...YaAnwbEALw_wcB

EFCD6E93-68DC-4B8B-A60D-89D8ABAF5363.jpg
        Last edited by Jetdriver; 09-04-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
          Do yourself a favor and buy the $40 sea dog impeller puller, it makes this job so easy and won’t damage the impeller or housing like pliers or screwdrivers.
          I like to keep my old impeller as a backup in case I have an issue with the new one throughout the season. I replace mine yearly. For the cost of a $35-40 part I get the piece of mind it’s gonna work all year.
          Another tip, remove it during winterization and replace it in the spring, or if you cycle antifreeze through your engine just remove and replace in the spring, that way the impeller blades can’t take a set.

https://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...YaAnwbEALw_wcB

[ATTACH]51539[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

What is the difference between the raw water impeller and the closed cooling impeller that causes the raw water impeller to be changed each year?

What is the likelihood of having an impeller issue if you didn’t change it? Don’t jump on me here, I am planning to replace it each year I am just curious as to why!

My previous 18 years of boat ownership was with mercrusier I/O alpha one drives and those raw water impellers do not need to be changed but once ever 3years or 100hrs which ever comes first.

Please help educate me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the difference between the raw water impeller and the closed cooling impeller that causes the raw water impeller to be changed each year?
              I think you might be talking about the same pump. Both open cooling and closed cooling systems have a raw water impeller pump. On an open cooling, it feeds the entire engine. On a closed cooling, it supplies the heat exchanger ( radiator on a car) and exhaust manifolds.

The raw water impeller is a consumable, like belts, brake pads and wiper blades. But a failed impeller means an overheating engine compared to a streaking windshield. Replace as preventative so to avoid a roined weekend/blown engine.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                I think you might be talking about the same pump. Both open cooling and closed cooling systems have a raw water impeller pump. On an open cooling, it feeds the entire engine. On a closed cooling, it supplies the heat exchanger ( radiator on a car) and exhaust manifolds.

The raw water impeller is a consumable, like belts, brake pads and wiper blades. But a failed impeller means an overheating engine compared to a streaking windshield. Replace as preventative so to avoid a roined weekend/blown engine.
                But the closed cooling section of my raptor must have a pump too that circulates the coolant right?

Comment

Yes, the circulation pump. Open cooling has one also.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    Yes, the circulation pump. Open cooling has one also.
                    Does the closed cooling section pump need to be replaced or is it not considered as a wear item like the raw water impeller and will last a lot longer like a water pump on a car engine?

Comment

The circulation pumps on either engine cooling type, would not be considered a wear item, needing regular replacement like the impellers on the raw water pumps.

Comment

Working...
                      X