DIY Bimini Surf Pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Bimini Surf Pockets

Added some surf pockets this weekend and they work awesome. So much easier than using the surf racks and should be a little easier on the boards.

First I laid out the boards and outlined with chalk

My DAKINE bag was already the perfect shape. Figured I'd just use it as a pattern

I bought some mesh from the local upholstery shop, it was $6.95/yd. Also got some sunbrella seconds for $12.95/yd and nylon edging

I ended up using a layer of sunbrella between the Bimini and a layer of mesh. I doubt the mesh will hold up as well as the sunbrella, but I had read that I might have problem with boards warping due to heat if I only used sunbrella. the extra layer of sunbrella under the boards would also help mitigate any issues I'd have with wear and tear of the factory bimini

the first pocket sewn on

The starboard side had a built in pocket that needed to be relocated to remain functional.

Both sides done.

I made one of the elastic bungee retainers a bit longer to accommodate the longer fin position on the inland surfboard

The shorter bungee worked just as well with the longer board if you only capture one fin.
    Last edited by tunafoot; 08-29-2018, 05:37 AM.

That is really cool !!!

Comment

love it!
      Germaine Marine
      "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

I got quoted $250 to do that same thing to my old tige...

pocket the saved coin for more gas on the water
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

great Idea thanks for sharing it!!

Comment

Nice work and good write up! Getcha some surf socks for the boards so they don’t bake in the sun.

Comment

Working...
            X