2000 21i gas tank removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 21i gas tank removal

i am trying to remove my gas tank, because I suspect it has a leak. How do I remove the carpeted plywood behind the back seat? I have removed all of the screws and 4 bolts. However, it does not want to budge.

In case I was going in the wrong direction, I tried to figure out how the tank was held down by scoping it for tabs and hold down bolts. Unfortunately, I can't see how it's held down.

Does someone have a trick to remove the carpeted plywood and then the tank?
    Thanks,
    Matt
    Attached Files

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ead&highlight=

Nick is the man to aks
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the lead chpthril. I sent him a PM.

Comment

Just got your pm. In case anyone else would ever need to know, I'll just respond here. It's been awhile since I tore that piece out but I'll try to help as best I can.

So long as floor section is completely out and the four bolts in the top corners out, it should just come down to a little brute force. I think you'll have to bend it to get it clear of those top corners.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Ok, brute force it is (minding the corners).

Comment

I was thinking you push the top of the bulkhead towards the transom while prying it upward. It would eventually lay on top of the tank so you could rotate it slightly to pull it out towards the bow. Check to be sure that the bulkhead does not have screws on the bottom at an angle driven into the floor. Its been way too long since I messed with one and I don't remember exactly.
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

^^^ That's sounds about right.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Ok, that's a 4 beer job.

It's brute force over finesse. I should have removed the shocks (I don't have the right word for it right now). When the board curls back, it went all the way to the stern without popping out. I jiggled one side straight up and out of the boat.

Next was the tank (which leaks so much that I was standing in a puddle of gas all night). The trick here is to either remove the hoses or cut them out completely. Mine were so rotted, that I had to cut them out with hand tools (electric tools and the shop vac would have ignited a fire). Then rotate the side facing the engine and it slides out. I had to use leverage to start the rotation, because it's a tight fit.

I'm sending the tank out for repairs and modifications.

Comment

UPDATE: I just got the tank back from my radiator shop. The tank rotted from the outside in. Any part that touched the carpet was heavily pitted. The inside was blemish free, except for a hole. I am having a new tank built.

Comment

Working...
                  X