How to winterize R20 (Indmar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to winterize R20 (Indmar)

I'm looking for the definitive answer on what to do to winterize (against freezing) a R20 with the Indmar Fusion 57 engine.

(I am continuing to wakeboard, wakesurf and waterski through the winter, so I'm not really putting it away - just protecting from those freezing nights. Up here we might get a couple of weeks of cold nights, otherwise it's right around the freezing mark.)

Here's what I'm doing so far:
    1. Running the engine a few seconds right after trailering it out of the lake to evacuate as much water as possible. (Also draining the intake filter.)
    2. While the engine is still warm, hooking up a fake-a-lake with a tube into a 10L jug of RV antifreeze, and running the engine for another 20-30 seconds to suck it all up.
    3. Letting as much self-drain as possible (mostly out the prop shaft seal). (Also removing garbord drain plug.)
    4. Putting a 40W trouble light in the bilge, under the v-drive for some warmth.
    5. Sucking the ballasts dry through their vents using a Shop Vac. (This sucks dry the intake pumps and lines, too. I checked.)

I'm a little worried by water that might be left in the exhausts, v-drive or trans cooler, although the antifreeze should mitigate that, right?

There's no drain plug at the front of the v-drive, or I'd pull it every time.

Thoughts?

Thx,
    Severin B.
    Last edited by PaceWithGrace; 11-26-2015, 06:54 AM.

I would not start the engine but just drain the block.

Comment

Hi Lee,

Well, OK, but my engine has no blue plugs... How do I drain it? Is it self draining? What about the exhausts and trans cooler? What about the v-drive, which is clearly the lowest point in the system but has no drain?

I would think running the engine for a few seconds to evacuate water, and then to suck through antifreeze, wouldn't hurt anything, since the impeller and all seals are still wet (lubricated) and I'm not generating any significant heat or hot spots. Do you think that's reasonable?

Thanks,
      Severin B.

Comment

The blue plugs were a Marc thing back in 2005 and older boats but your engine still has plugs for draining just the same. I would skip the antifreeze and just drain the water. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes once you get the hang of it and the boat is turn keay ready for the next trip out.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

How do I drain the v-drive?

Comment

Remove the drain plug/knock sensor and drain the exhaust manifolds. Most Indmar 5.7 have a hose that connects the two manifolds that need to be unscrewed.

Comment

Working...
            X