Trailer wheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer wheel removal

Hi all, I just took ownership of a 2011 RZR that sits in a boat mate trailer. The trailer is fitted with 18" wheels and the vault buddy bearing.
    I'm wanting to check brakes and bearings. So onto the first wheel, have removed the 5 wheels nuts but for the life of me just can't take the wheel off. It seems like it's held on some other way also. Is there something in the centre also retaining the wheel or could it be bound up somewhere?
    ATTACH]41826[/url][/ATTACH]
    Pic of wheel attached ....TIA
    Btw the wheel is off the ground so free to spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Files

Give it a good kick around the tyre and it will release.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

put a lug nut back into it, loose, then give it a good hit with a soft blow hammer or your foot on the tire. The loose lug nut will not allow the wheel to get away from you when you give it a good hit, will keep it from getting damaged if it comes off real fast.

Comment

Sometimes they get a little rust between the wheel and hub and you need to convince it to come off.

Comment

Trailer wheel removal

I used to work at a tire shop back in high school - sometimes we had to go to the point of using a sledge hammer on the back side of the tire. Like the other guys said. Always leave one lug nut threaded on a little bit to prevent the wheel from flying off. Some nasty corrosion usually goes down between the hub and the wheel. Don't be afraid to buff off the hub and the wheel with a wire brush once removed.

Comment

what he said, add some never seize to the back of the wheel or hub when you put it back on.

Comment

Thanks for replies
              So a few hits with a soft mallet and it loosened the wheel off the hub. I have never had to do this on any wheel before so now I know
              Actually no rust on the hub, must be a precise fit.... And thanks for the tip to use anti seize

Comment

Working...
              X