Marine Power Remote Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine Power Remote Oil Filter

After spending 2 days destructively removing an oil filter that I tightened too tight last year, I decided to make future oil changes easier by installing a remote oil filter. Here are my lessons learned:

Destruction in process.
    DSC_0148.jpg

Ordered this from Marine Engine Depot:
    http://marineenginedepot.com/MP/Mari...-Kt-5.0L-5.7L/

Here is the kit as received.
    DSC_0043.jpg

This piece threads into the block just like an oil filter. I did not need the adapter that threads into the block with the 2 screws as there is already one installed.
    DSC_0044.jpg

I thought instead of using the included bracket, I'd just attach it to the starboard hatch support. "Dirty" oil goes up to the oil filter and clean oil goes back to the block. I used thread sealant on the pipe threads.
    DSC_0047.jpg

After the first time out, I noticed the engine cover a bit too hot for comfort, so I used the bracket attached to the exhaust manifold. Had to swap the lines, but oh well.

This will be much easier to access in the future.
    DSC_0050.jpg
    Last edited by GzeroX5; 06-14-2015, 02:36 AM.

Thank you for this! Definitely my next purchase. I've probably dumped a quart of oil in my hull every damn time even using a garbage bag!

Comment

Originally posted by Trays22 View Post
      Thank you for this! Definitely my next purchase. I've probably dumped a quart of oil in my hull every damn time even using a garbage bag!
      No problem, thanks! I've searched this forum for many things, including how to replace my steering cable. Thought I'd add to the good ideas.

Comment

Heads up y'all, the destruction of the filter comes from no lube on the oring. Even though it seems like it's overtightened its not. The oring vulcanizes to the block or remote mount and you see the end result. Just be sure to lube the oring before installation and oil filter woes can be avoided.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
          Heads up y'all, the destruction of the filter comes from no lube on the oring. Even though it seems like it's overtightened its not. The oring vulcanizes to the block or remote mount and you see the end result. Just be sure to lube the oring before installation and oil filter woes can be avoided.
          Definitely agree Wakes, thanks! I think I'm religious about oiling the new o-ring when doing an oil change, but possibly not enough? I literally chiseled the stupid thing a full turn before I could spin it by hand. The new setup will help the ergonomics of the process, and not encourage me to "get the thing tight so it doesn't leak so I don't have to get back in the bilge again".

Comment

You also want to use a quality filter wrench that fits properly. One that will bite near the top of the filter, where its least likely to collapse. I like the plier type or a cup type, if it fits the end of the filter good. Those universal strap types may need to be supplemented by some 50 grit sandpaper doubled over and wrapped around the filter and under the strap. This adds grip.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Most filters are put on too tight. If you read the instructions they will tell you to turn 1/4 turn after filter makes contact. That is tight enough to stop leaks and easy enough to remove by hand next time.

Comment

Working...
              X