Ballast System in 2005 22V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast System in 2005 22V

I purchased a 2005 22V last fall. The boat came with a few fat sacks, and I have a few from my last boat. I am interested in automating the system. In the past I have been using Tsunami pumps, manually filling and emptying the sacks as needed. I woulld like to install a built in system. I found great info and pictures on this site, but I have 1 question.

Can I install 2 through hull intakes in the bildge with 2 pumps, Connect 1 pump to the right rear sack, 1 pump to the left rear sack, then run the vent lines to the respective bow lockers to fill the bow sacks, and have the vents from the bow sacks drain overboard.

Has anybody done this before? Will the pump drain the bow sacks?

Another side question, is it preferable to have the check valve/overboard drain, or drain through the intake?

Dan

Can I install 2 through hull intakes in the bildge with 2 pumps, Connect 1 pump to the right rear sack, 1 pump to the left rear sack, then run the vent lines to the respective bow lockers to fill the bow sacks, and have the vents from the bow sacks drain overboard.
    Yes, but its going to be PAINSTAKINGLY slow to fill those bow sac pushing water through the filled rear sac then up through 15+ ft of hose to a bow sac. What is your plan for draining all the sacs? Even a reversible impeller pump is not going to effectively drain those bow sac.

You be surprised how small the expense would be to install a 3rd pump thats dedicated to the bow sac(s).

Another side question, is it preferable to have the check valve/overboard drain, or drain through the intake?
    Depends on the system design and the pump type used
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by docdsc64 View Post
      I purchased a 2005 22V last fall. The boat came with a few fat sacks, and I have a few from my last boat. I am interested in automating the system. In the past I have been using Tsunami pumps, manually filling and emptying the sacks as needed. I woulld like to install a built in system. I found great info and pictures on this site, but I have 1 question.

Has anybody done this before? Will the pump drain the bow sacks?

Dan
      x2 on having a separate fill and drain system for the bow. My system uses aerator pumps (rule 1100). The rear sacs vent and drain lines are "T"'d together and ported overboard on the opposite side at the stern. There is a check valve in my vent to prevent the drain line from refilling the sac through the vent opening. I believe the check valve is also good to prevent too much air from entering the sacs. If you decide to go with impeller pumps, the plumbing would be different. I have been totally satisfied with my system and I would recommend aerators for cost and performance. Here is a link to my install thread.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...8-22Ve-mls6722

Comment

Originally posted by mls6722 View Post
        "copied from other thread" - I have read many of your posts. Thank you for responding. So, would installing a 3rd impeller pump to a "t" splitter, connected to each bow sack, solve the bow filling/draining solution? Where would the bow intake best be placed? MLS6722 used aerator pumps to fill, and a pump on each sack/tank to drain. I want to keep the installation clean, reliable and as simple as possible. Using larger hoses decreases resistance, so could I fill the bow sacks from the vent lines from the rear sacks, and install drain pumps in the bow compartments? [/url]
        In my opinion, you will want to be able to individually control the fill and drain of each sac - Piggybacking may make sense if you are planning to use multiple sacs in the rear. I am pretty sure you will not always want to fill an aft sac full to get weight in the bow. In general, if you go with impeller pumps, they fill and drain from the same reversible pump. The advantage is less pumps. The disadvantage is one impeller pump costs more money and has less performance than two aerator pumps. You may want to go with small aerators for the bow (2 fills and 2 drains). The fill can com off the thru hull used for the rear sacs - if you are worried about the thru hull being a restriction, you can connect your port bow pump to your stbd thru hull and vice versa. Bow fill and drain times will not be an issue. I have a single bow sac and it is connected to two fill pumps and two drain pumps. In my opinion, in the Ve hull, there is little effect from separate left and right bow sacs since they are so close to each other. The bow needs two drain pumps since the low point will be port or stbd depending on how you are leaned at the time (weighted). I think one aerator connected to both drains will stop sucking water when air is introduced on one side or the other.
        Both aerator and impeller pumps are designed more to push than suck. That is why it is best to have drain pumps close to the drain point or below it. Impeller pumps do not like to be run dry because the impeller is in contact with the housing and water is important lubricate it. Aerators will run dry all day with no damage (I have tested this) since there is no contact between the rotating and stationary parts.

Comment

Working...
        X