Gel Coat Repair and Care - Color Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gel Coat Repair and Care - Color Sanding

I had some very severe fading/oxidation on my lower color panel. In discussion with John at Hula Boat Care, I found that there is really no topical product to remove this oxidation, and color sanding was my only option. Having done this before to remove scratches, I knew what I was in for.

For those who don't understand, color sanding is the process by which you sand the finish with very fine wet-or-dry sand paper using water as a lubricant. You start with a courser grit, say 600, and move progressively up in grit rating. My process in this thread is 600-1500-2000.

Here is the issue I am dealing with:

As you can see, the fading along the bottom color panel is quite severe.
    So this monkey walks into a bar...

So after work yesterday, I backed the Tige into the drieway, got the hose out and my sandpaper, and I dove in. I started with 1500 grit, hoping it would cut the mustard, but to no avail. I switched to 600, and it took the fading off nicely. Then I switched to 1500, then 2000 progressively. I used water for lubricant, running the hose very lightly and splashing the ares to be sanded as I moved along.

Comment

So after an hour and a half of sanding through my process, I started buffing. The back 2' of the panel has been buffed to remove the 2000 grit scratches left by the wetordry. Although the light makes it tough to see the change, it's pretty clear that the fading is gone and new-like gel coat remains.

I worked my way down until I have the worst of it complete.

Last edited by bigdaddy_houseboater; 05-17-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

That looks great big daddy! Can't wait to see the whole boat done, it will probably look brand new!

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

I still have a little to do on this side, but the worst is gone. I will finish this side up tonight, and move to the other side this weekend.

It's quite an effort to color sand, but the results are stunning. I learned to use a buffer on my last Tige, a '95 SLM, and those skills have served me well throughout the years. Anyone with the time and elbow grease can make 99% of all scratch, oxidation, and gel repairs themselves. Dont be SKEERED!

I have a few chips in my white panel, and I plan to do a small thread on chip repair, if anyone is interested.

Comment

What did you use to buff the scratches out with? Did you wax after too?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy_houseboater View Post
                I still have a little to do on this side, but the worst is gone. I will finish this side up tonight, and move to the other side this weekend.

It's quite an effort to color sand, but the results are stunning. I learned to use a buffer on my last Tige, a '95 SLM, and those skills have served me well throughout the years. Anyone with the time and elbow grease can make 99% of all scratch, oxidation, and gel repairs themselves. Dont be SKEERED!

I have a few chips in my white panel, and I plan to do a small thread on chip repair, if anyone is interested.
                I'm definitely interested in small chip and scratch repair when you get a chance.
                2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                  I'm definitely interested in small chip and scratch repair when you get a chance.
                  X2

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                    X3
                    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Have you given any thought to 3M Finesse and a variable speed buffer with a fine pad? It does wonders for oxidation.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Looks great. Some serious elbow grease at work.

Anyway, I've been pretty happy with shurhold stuff. They make a product to be used with a variable speed buffer. They call it "buff magic." Can't go wrong if it actually lives up to its name. I haven't needed it yet. I have a 2007 rz2 and so far it's still in decent shape. Just wash and polish for me. I bought a junky variable speed buffer from harbor freight and some decent buffing and polishing pads. The buffer significantly sped up my bi annual polish. I will never go back to doing it by hand. If you ever go for the mechanical horsepower, don't skimp on the buffing and polishing pads. Nice pads made all the difference.

What do you use for water spots? I have a black hull and they all show. They are a pain
                        Last edited by bigskymudflaps; 06-11-2012, 04:59 AM.
                        2007 RZ2 Marine power 340hp Custom ballast
                        Tundra Crewmax 5.7L

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy_houseboater View Post
                          X4

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                            Have you given any thought to 3M Finesse and a variable speed buffer with a fine pad? It does wonders for oxidation.
                            I used the Finesse it with the waffle pad on one side of my boat and it looked good but not as good as the side that I used the wool pad and some Meguiars diamond cut compound and then a finesse it treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                              tell me more about these products combined? I had a good color sand and buff done at the beginning of the season but the oxidation was so bad that it didnt get it all....i believe using these two products should finish the job up and then could help me maintain the gel coat

Comment

Working...
                              X