Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Tracking fins

Good day,

I bought a used 2004 Tige 20v last spring, and when I brought it into the shop to get winterized, they said a few of my tracking fins were bent and needed to be replaced. They said it was easy to do, but I was just wondering if the community had any tips or tricks on the best way to replace them.

Thank you,

Have you crawled under there to take a look? I don't know why they would need to be replaced. They can get bent out of line, which will make it difficult to keep the boat in a straight line, but they don't usually get major damage to them.

I know some on here have bent them straight while still on the boat. Using a soft mallet (not a hammer) or placing a piece of wood against the fin then hitting with a hammer. Also heard of guys putting a big monkey wrench on it and using a cheater bar to bend. It is difficult to get them perfectly straight like new, but it has not noticeably affected my 04 22v. My front one is not very straight.

Comment

Im curious on this as well. My 2003 22v that I recently bought has one fin that is broken in half and it looks like a pot metal that I wouldn't think would bend easy? I was also told that they glued them to the bottom of the boats and its very difficult to break the adhesive loose to get the fin off. I would love to hear from someone that has replaced one.

Comment

There are 4 lag bolts and yes there is adhesive to break off and then rebond to the bottom side of the boat the marina I work at had to replace 2 on a 22Ve last year and it was a good days work but easily doable by the person if mechanically inclined and wants to do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by rensink View Post
          There are 4 lag bolts and yes there is adhesive to break off and then rebond to the bottom side of the boat the marina I work at had to replace 2 on a 22Ve last year and it was a good days work but easily doable by the person if mechanically inclined and wants to do the work.
          What did you guys use to break the adhesive loose?

Comment

I don't remember off the top of my head I can try and find out for you if you'd like tomorrow.

Comment

Id be worried about what else might be bent, like the strut, shaft or rudder.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Don't get screwed on the labor as well. I had all three of my skags replaced last year (rocks in a shallow area)and the guy said they would have to pull the fuel tank to replace them etc...
                when I picked up the boat I asked the mechanic cause I wanted to make sure I still had at least my 35gallons of fuel still in the tank before I left and he said NOPE he didn't pull the tank. Oh well, insurance paid for their estimate anyways
                I think they bolt in from the bottom?
                Anyway, don't get hosed..personally I'd try to straighten them your self first, what do you have to lose if they're already bent?
                2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
                Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Comment

Boat won't drive straight it'll track either way , also bending them is extremely hard to do back into place.

Comment

Rensink - have you figured out how to break the adhesive under the tracking fins to remove them? also if there is an adhesive there to break to I have to put on the fin to reinstall?

Thank you everyone for you input!

Comment

The adhesive is/should be 3M 5200... don't try to remove without using a product called "Debond" adhesive remover or you will literally rip the fiberglass off the boat. Instructions are on the product and it can be purchased at west marine. Be sure to use new 3M 5200 fast cure when replacing the skegs only on the studs and holes where they penetrate the boat on both sides for a leak free seal. Good luck
                      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                        The adhesive is/should be 3M 5200... don't try to remove without using a product called "Debond" adhesive remover or you will literally rip the fiberglass off the boat. Instructions are on the product and it can be purchased at west marine. Be sure to use new 3M 5200 fast cure when replacing the skegs only on the studs and holes where they penetrate the boat on both sides for a leak free seal. Good luck
                        That's right around the same information I recieved good luck with it.

Comment

Does anybody know of a good place to buy the tracking fin? The front one of mine is broke off. (lesson learned, be sure to push your boat straight back after you push it up on the beach.)

Comment

Originally posted by brockroorda View Post
                            Does anybody know of a good place to buy the tracking fin? The front one of mine is broke off. (lesson learned, be sure to push your boat straight back after you push it up on the beach.)
                            Or never ever push it up on a beach. There are excellent threads about anchoring in transom to beach.

Comment

Working...
                            X