Replace Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Starter

I need to replace the starter on my 2001 21v. Anyone have pictures/instructions on how to do so?

Thanks!

Why do you believe the starter needs replacing?
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

symptoms? Make sure it is your starter first, there are several other things that are common to this boat that are much easier and cheaper to replace that can pretend to be a bad starter.

Comment

That is why I asked why he believed it was the starter. Symtoms will help a lot in the diagnoses. Mine just started clicking one day like a dead battery. Switched batteries and it worked. Went and got a new battery and installed that one. Same problem came back. Thought it was the selinoid. Replaced that it was not. Went to the relay. That worked but the problem came back It was an intermitnant problem so it was hard to diagnose it. Each time I tried something it worked but the problem returnned. Wires and fuses under the dash were loose. Got them work out. Same problem. It was so frusrtating. I was stranded out on the lake and had to cut the day short many times. Finally found the real issue. It was the fuse in the line just off the battery in the rear. Had some corrosion and a loose connecter. If I had started there it would have save so much time and money but most of all the anguish and frustration.

Symtoms?

Comment

Here are some things that can cause an engine to not turn over or not turn over at a fast enough speed to start:

*Battery including both B+ and GND connections
          *Key cylinder/ignition switch
          *Starter relay (most boats have, where as its not common on a car)
          *Starter solenoid (mounted on the starter. Its basically a heavy duty relay that engages the starter gear and energizes the starter windings)
          *Starter motor (can be mechanically sticking or electrically faulty)
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'm just getting a click when I turn the key. The batteries are holding a charge and the connections are good on them. All of the battery operated devices work (bilge etc). We also checked all of the belts and nothing is frozen up. Everything is still moving freely. So I just figured the starter would be a logical place to go next. I am open to easier/cheaper solutions though. Thank you for the help!

Comment

Did you try to jump or bypass the kill switch? Those go bad too, much cheaper and easier than a new starter.
              2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
              2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBoarder911 View Post
                I'm just getting a click when I turn the key. The batteries are holding a charge and the connections are good on them. All of the battery operated devices work (bilge etc). We also checked all of the belts and nothing is frozen up. Everything is still moving freely. So I just figured the starter would be a logical place to go next. I am open to easier/cheaper solutions though. Thank you for the help!
                Do the belt and pulleys "lurch" a bit when you try, as if they are trying to turn? Any motion at all? I'm wondering if you have a hydrolock (oil in a cylinder, etc.) that the starter cannot overcome. Perhaps try pulling the plugs and turning the crankshaft by hand or wrench, even bumping the starter while the plugs are out, just to make sure things are able to turn. That will confirm the starter is ABLE to work. Then it becomes a question of whether the starter can turn hard enough.

Report back!

Comment

Mine had the simalar symtom. After all was done it turned out to be the fuse by the battery. A week relay can cause the same thing. You can get a replacement GM one at auto zone. If you are brave enough you can jump the starter over and know if it is in the starter or selinoid or in the wiring someplace else. I have a starter switch that hooks to the main lead and the starter selenoid. Push the button and away it goes. Kepted me on the water till the shop opened and got me in. When you hit the key is it one click or a series of clicks?

Comment

Where is the click occurring? Had the same symptoms and it was the starter relay on top of the engine. Hit the key and it would click. About 20 bucks at autozone. Localize where the click is happening up top or at the starter and you will start narrowing it down.

Comment

My relay was $10.00 at auto zone. But then again I get a commercil discount. Still waiting to hear more about the symptoms and can help narrow it down.

Comment

Working...
                      X