Sea Strainer/ Perko Flush Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Strainer/ Perko Flush Install

I have a new-to-me '06 20v and want to put in a strainer and flush valve. The river here gets a little crappy and I noticed the impeller was chewed up when I changed it.

I've read the other posts but I want to get opinions on installing them both inline before the V-Drive. My main question is should a shut-off valve (ball valve) be put in before the Perko valve just as a safty thing. Just seems like a lot of room for failure between the scoop to the impeller. I guess the other option is to mount the strianer above the water line? That way I could clean it while floating and also act as a check so water doesn't fill my bildge if something should happen?

I would install would line up like this...
    scoop - flush valve - stainer - V-Drive intake----

Thanks.

The ball valve isnt a must but it is a nice safety item, make sure you check the tranny cooler for debre while doing your install , it ussually gets clogged when theirs no strainer.

Comment

I suppose then I could just install a T w/ a hose connection and ball valve instead of the perko and save some coin?

Comment

Originally posted by wired1236 View Post
        I suppose then I could just install a T w/ a hose connection and ball valve instead of the perko and save some coin?
        Yea this works, and in my opinion is alot easier.

Comment

Hey wired,

Let me know what you come up with. I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing. Knowing where to look for parts is always great too.

Thanks.

Comment

I got it done. I went with the Perko and the Sherwood Strainer. I had to put the Strainer after the V-Drive beacause there wasn't enough room between the pickup and the v-drive to put both inline. I figured at least this way, the v-drive would be getting water while using the Perko and it wasn't that big of deal if the v-drive wasn't getting filtered water. From what I hear, it's usually the oil cooler that gets clogged, not the V-drive. I picked both up from Overtons (with the mounting bracket whick I didn't use), for under $130.00. As far as having a safty valve, I didn't do it. There's no room for it inline anway. The hoses are just too short now. X my fingers I guess. I'll test it all in the driveway before we head out this spring.
            Last edited by wired1236; 12-22-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X