removing a prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing a prop

I bought my boat 2 + yrs ago and have only now attempted to remove my prop. It won't come off. I tapped it a little with wooden block without success. Do I have to first remove the sheer pin? Thank you.

Get a prop puller and do not remove the nut completely or when it breaks loose it will shoot off like a rocket. If you are gonna do it without a puller you may need to add a little heat. I would try to get a puller or find a shop that will rent you one. Either way leave the nut on, just loose.

Comment

Oh and you don't have to remove the key first. I doubt it would come out anyway.

Comment

Yea theres no way you could get the key out with the prop on. You need a prop puller, and yea like ajholt said, make sure you leave the bolt on, back it off like a 1/4" or so other wise that baby will whack you. Kinda scary the first time you do it, you dont expect it!
        Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

That is crazy! I just took mine off yesterday....undid the nut (all the way...whoops) then I just grabbed the prop and wiggled it a little and it came right off.....

Had the puller standing by and ready to go though.

Comment

I typically just use a 2 jaw gear puller. They work great and are available at any auto parts store.

Comment

I couldnt get a 4 blade prop off so I use a heat gun on the brass, and then tapped it off with a block.

When I put my other prop on I applied alittle anti seize
              Life is good...
              Happy Wife Happy Life

Comment

just got my prop changed up... MAN I LOVE IT... it pulls so much better and no cavitation at all.... My was a beast to get off but get you the c-clamp puller with the prop and it will come off... make sure you got the nut on with the threads flush to the bolt and crank the puller tight then tap with rubber mallet... by tap I mean give it a couple good whacks then tighen the clamp a little bit then whack on it some then tighten a lil bit... its a slow process but the whacking sends vibration thru the shaft to help it loosen.... never just crank the clamp down to pop it off as you have more chance to bend something

Comment

Originally posted by petrey10 View Post
                  just got my prop changed up... MAN I LOVE IT... it pulls so much better and no cavitation at all.... My was a beast to get off but get you the c-clamp puller with the prop and it will come off... make sure you got the nut on with the threads flush to the bolt and crank the puller tight then tap with rubber mallet... by tap I mean give it a couple good whacks then tighen the clamp a little bit then whack on it some then tighten a lil bit... its a slow process but the whacking sends vibration thru the shaft to help it loosen.... never just crank the clamp down to pop it off as you have more chance to bend something
                  by c clamp puller do you mean the prop puller? Like this onehttp://www.boardco.com/shopexd.asp?id=1617

Shouldnt need to whack it at all if you use that baby. its all linear, where would you bend?

Comment

yes the c - clamp version of theprop puller i got it thru chrthrill... it is still best to whack the c clamp so you can send the vibration thru the shaft to get the prop off... without the vibration you have to apply way more pressure to the prop and shaft... something can give if you put too much pressure on it... whether thats going to be your shaft or soemthing else depends on numerous factors... trust me just tight it down then whack a couple times.... tighten down and whack a couple times... it will come off with less effort

Comment

Im not gonna whack mine.

Comment

I got the ACME weekend saver kit and it uses the harmonic method. I have never had an issue getting a prop off.

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
                          I got the ACME weekend saver kit and it uses the harmonic method. I have never had an issue getting a prop off.
                          how does that harmonic puller work? tried looking it up real quick and didnt see much on how to use it, but it looks like its just a ball peen hammer, and im assuming there is an extra chunk of brass to use with it?

petrey is this what you used? Or are you really just whacking your prop with a hammer?

Comment

Improve Golf Flexibility

Improve Golf Flexibility

Not only because of that, but also the muscles of each body segment are needed to buy the callaway diablo edge irons in conjunction, from that tackle on the follow-through, to produce a swing movement that's true, accurate, as well as powerful. ishiner

Comment

damn we got spammers

Comment

Working...
                              X