Trailer Axle Seal Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Axle Seal Repair

Both left side inner axle seals decided to leak this year so I thought I would make a basic how to while doing the repair.(Oil filled axles)

(There can be subtle differences depending on type of axle and brakes. Consult your owners manual before repair.)

1. Raise trailer and remove wheel(s)

2. Remove brake caliper assy and set aside.(not necessary to disconnect brake lines from caliper)
    Attached Files
    Bad decisions make good stories.

3. Remove oil cap by using a rubber dead blow hammer or hammer and piece of wood as to not damage oil cap. Tap side to side and up and down to loosen cap.
    Attached Files

Comment

4. Remove cotter pin, retainer, nut, washer and outer hub bearing. Remove hub assy.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by River Runner; 06-06-2010, 06:29 AM.

Comment

5. Remove inner axle seal with seal puller or screwdriver.
        Attached Files

Comment

6. Inspect bearing and races for damage. Clean bearings, hub and spindle.

7. Remove and replace oil cap o-ring.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by River Runner; 06-06-2010, 07:07 AM.

Comment

8. Re-install inner bearing into hub assy.

9. Install axle seal with seal installer or a socket of same diameter.(If your seals did not come with a hypalon coating, apply thin layer of high temp RTV silicone to seal mating surface.)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by River Runner; 06-06-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

10. Re-install hub onto spindle, outer bearing, washer and nut.

11. Tighten nut 15-20 in/lbs(nut much more than finger tight) while rotating hub assy to seat bearings. Check for endplay.

(Hub should rotate as freely as possible with no endplay. Too tight and it will shorten the lifespan of your wheel bearings.)

12. Install nut retainer and cotter pin.

13. Apply thin layer of high temp RTV silicone to oil cap and tap into place with rubber dead blow hammer or piece of wood.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by River Runner; 06-06-2010, 07:39 AM.

Comment

14. Fill to spec with recommended oil.(in my case 50w)

15. Re-install caliper assy

16. Re-install wheel and tighten lugnuts to recommended torque spec.

Personally not impressed with the oil filled (bath) bearings. For the simple reason that we never had a problem with the grease style.
                Attached Files

Comment

Awesome write up RR! I did mine yesterday although I have drum brakes.

For those that have grease, make sure to load the bearings before re-installing them.

Comment

Great write up. The only thing I would add is to red loc tite the little fill plug. But thats just because the guy at extreme trailer said he recommended it.
                    ---v^---v^---v^_____---v^---v^ For a second there. I was bored to death!!

Comment

Great DIY description RR
                      I have the same system on my boat, I always had greased axles before with no issues and lots of tow miles. I am guessing yours lasted two years, how many miles do you think you put on a year?
                      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by slacker661 View Post
                        Great write up. The only thing I would add is to red loc tite the little fill plug. But thats just because the guy at extreme trailer said he recommended it.
                        Not sure I would recommend red loctite for the fill plug due to it being so small and also has allen head. You may end up drilling it out. I used a little Teflon tape. Also forgot to mention put a little never sieze on the wheel studs to help out in future wheel removal.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwndr View Post
                          Great DIY description RR
                          I have the same system on my boat, I always had greased axles before with no issues and lots of tow miles. I am guessing yours lasted two years, how many miles do you think you put on a year?
                          We probably put 2-3k miles a year. And yes they lasted 2 years. Noticed left rear axle seal leaking before we left for our first trip. Checked level and went ahead with the trip. Front left side axle started leaking when we got home. Axle Buddy folks are sending me two seal but we have a trip planned for fathers day not sure when they will arrive. At least we will have some for the right side when they decide to leak.

BTW when talking with Axle Buddy they recommended seal SKF 17146. That is NOT the correct seal. Make sure your replacement seal is a spring loaded two lip seal. Sorry my local part store didn't have a number but matched it up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by River Runner View Post
                            We probably put 2-3k miles a year. And yes they lasted 2 years. Noticed left rear axle seal leaking before we left for our first trip. Checked level and went ahead with the trip. Front left side axle started leaking when we got home. Axle Buddy folks are sending me two seal but we have a trip planned for fathers day not sure when they will arrive. At least we will have some for the right side when they decide to leak.

BTW when talking with Axle Buddy they recommended seal SKF 17146. That is NOT the correct seal. Make sure your replacement seal is a spring loaded two lip seal. Sorry my local part store didn't have a number but matched it up for me.
                            Thanks, That is about how many miles we average also.
                            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Great job on the write up, River Runner.

Comment

Working...
                              X