How to MP distributor cap and rotor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to MP distributor cap and rotor?

I see so many posts about the importance of changing your distributor cap and rotor on the marine power engines, but I haven’t found any good write ups on how to do it.

would anyone with some knowledge be up for shedding some light on this?

Remove cap. Believe you have the crab style cab(not round). It's a couple of small Torx screws. Remove rotor. It just slides up off the post straight up.

Reverse the process. Make sure to mark you spark plug wire #s if this new to you.

Marineenginedepot.com is Marine Powers Powersif you want "OEM"(mostly AC Delco parts that could be sourced about anywhere)

Comment

Thank you… I didn’t want to start removing screws and possibly mess something up. Ill
      Give it a shot today

Comment

Originally posted by Majr808 View Post
        Thank you… I didn’t want to start removing screws and possibly mess something up. Ill
        Give it a shot today
        Should be doing plugs as well. Wires are up for debate

Comment

Just replaced plugs yesterday. All the plugs I pulled were gapped around .03. Lowest was .02. I installed all platinums at .06 per the MP suggestion. Plug wires are in the mail. I’m having issues with random engine revvs so trying to find the issue.

Comment

Autolite brand spark plugs, forgot to mention

Comment

You are drive by wire so I would suspect a stepper motor or possible way throttle potentiometer issue

Comment

Replaced the potentiometer on the throttle arm already… the engine still revs every so often at neutral or in drive. While driving along sometimes it has a hiccup also.

im not sure what a stepper motor is but I’ll do some research on it. Really appreciate the help, Im new to this stuff obviously

Comment

It's the electric motor that controls the blade in the throttle body.

Comment

That electric motor is in the throttle body right? I’m pretty sure I’d have to buy an entire new throttle body to replace it, since the motor is sealed inside

Comment

Originally posted by Majr808 View Post
                      Autolite brand spark plugs, forgot to mention
                      I would use AC Delco plugs in a Chevy engine and Autolite in a Ford engine.

Comment

easy guys I’m learning!

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post

I would use AC Delco plugs in a Chevy engine and Autolite in a Ford engine.
                          Not motorcraft??

Comment

I bought a replacement throttle body if mine is what is causing my random power surges. If I swap on a new electronic controlled throttle body, should I have to reprogram it with a computer or will the engine pick it up on its own?

Comment

But how do you get *to* the cap? The engine fuse/relay box sits right on top of it blocking access. I removed the 2 visible nuts that seem to attach the "steel tray" the fuse box and whatever that is above it (the ECM?) are on, but it still wouldn't budge. Is it just because I need to cut all the zip ties and unscrew the 12-pin connector? Who knew it would be this hard to get to the cap. Or am I just dense and missing something obvious/easy?

IMG_5964.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X