SERVICING A ZF 45 TRANSMISION/ vee DRIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SERVICING A ZF 45 TRANSMISION/ vee DRIVE

after replacing the fluids do i check the levels with the engine running or not? i have never serviced these parts before so i am very hesitant to do this.
    this is a 2008 tige' 22VE
    Last edited by stang32; 06-08-2021, 12:24 PM.

No engine running. Check the transmission fluid and v-drive fluid by removing the cap/dipstick assembly and set the caps on the threads to take the reading. Do not screw them in to take the reading. Having the boat on the water helps give a better "real world condition" reading but I found that it doesn't change much as long as the boat trailer is reasonable level.

Suck out what fluid that you can and replace as needed. Some people measure what they take out to replace with the same amount but I haven't found it necessary.

Dex/Merc ATF (Dex III replacement) in the transmission and I had SAE 30 (non detergent) oil in the V-drive.

If you warm up the engine and run the transmission with the neutral button pushed in you should have some fluid circulation in the transmission which is ideal before changing.

Comment

i thought the zf 45 were baoth transmisiion/ vee drive in one?

Comment

ZF 63 is all in one.

Comment

im confusedbecause this forum and post says the zf 45 is all in one.

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index....n-fluid-specs/

Comment

All in one as in "one unit" with 2 separate reservoirs for the different fluids for both the v drive and transmission. The v-drive and transmission are just built together by ZF Hurth, you don't have a Walters v-drive. Don't overthink this, you have 2 caps with dipsticks attached. Check and see if the fluid on the rear dipstick is pink (Dex/Merc ATF) and if the fluid on the one closest to the bow is clear/yellow (SAE 30).

Using a forum thread that is 7 years old for reference with a different year, brand boat, engine, and possibly different v drive is bound to cause some confusion.

Comment

good point, both fluids were dextron though so that what i put back in

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cWeNzVFS7Twe2sa47

here is the trans tag

Comment

Nice! We have the exact same unit. The thicker oil in the v-drive supposedly quiets them down. Mine wasn't pink so it got the SAE 30 refill. I can't imagine the v-drive is too picky on its lubricant, I've heard of them coming from the dealer with either fluid.

While you're poking around down there, take a second to make sure the plug on the transmission shift spool is tight Its to the left in front of the serial tag. Mine stated leaking at the end of last season and it was not a nice surprise to have ATF in my bilge.

transmission plug.png
                Last edited by SurfinSnipes; 06-10-2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

thanks for sharing
                  seo business

Comment

Working...
                  X