Removing carpet and installing EVA marine foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing carpet and installing EVA marine foam

I completed this project on my 2001 2100v for around $350. I'm sure there are better ways to do this but this is how i did it. Considered buying the pre-cut gator step kit but didn't want to pay for it. I ordered 4 53" x 95" rolls on ebay for about $250 shipped and ended up only using three with plenty left over. I'll be adding more pieces throughout the summer where i see fit.

I then ripped out the old carpet. This was very easy considering the old carpet glue was barely holding on. there is a 3/8 inch gap around the gas tank cover so I got some 3/8 x 1/2 strips of aluminum form lowes and screwed them around the edges of the board. This filled in those gaps perfectly.

I got a roll of heavy duty construction paper and made all my templates for the floor. Spend a lot of time getting your templates perfect. This will make cutting the foam that much easier.

I considered scrapping up all the old glue but decided to just fill in the low spots with some bondo. I then sanded the floor down with 120 grit, taped the floor off, cleaned it with mineral spirits, and rolled on a white topside paint I ordered from amazon for $20.

Once the paint was dry i simply just peeled and stuck my foam pieces down. To mark the foam i just laid the templates down and used the flat end of a screw driver to leave an indention where i was cutting it. I'd seen a lot of people using a router to get a clean edge on the foam but i found a heavy duty pair of scissors did just fine. Slowly stick your pieces down to make sure all the lines line up and are straight.

This whole project took about two weekends. Most of the time is spent making the templates. I found that cutting the rough shape and then just marking and cutting was the most efficient way of making them.

thanks!
    Attached Files

Pretty darn awesome!
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Awesome work. I’m definitely jealous.

Comment

Impressive, would love to do a similar project but I've been scared of the bumpy glue mess waiting for me under the carpet. I like the idea of leveling it out with the bondo instead of trying to scrap it all off. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by WakeWes View Post
          Impressive, would love to do a similar project but I've been scared of the bumpy glue mess waiting for me under the carpet. I like the idea of leveling it out with the bondo instead of trying to scrap it all off. Nice work!
          My glue was all dried up and carpet was pretty much falling off. I didn't want to do it at first but it ended up being super easy.

Comment

Stonewall, I have the same boat and I'm installing a Deckadence type product. I just tore out the carpet today. So you just left that (what appears to be) fiber reinforced glue layer intact. See photo. It's looking like it's pretty difficult to remove using a multi-tool scraper. If so, did your topcoat adhere OK? I was either going to use a deck resurfacer product or paint on bedliner material. I really don't want to commit to removing this layer without knowing how difficult it will end up being.
            IMG_7052.jpg

Comment

I said glue layer but it looks like it’s a fiberglass layer. I definitely don’t want to strip it. I’ll probably follow stonewall’s method.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by chopper515 View Post
                  Stonewall, I have the same boat and I'm installing a Deckadence type product. I just tore out the carpet today. So you just left that (what appears to be) fiber reinforced glue layer intact. See photo. It's looking like it's pretty difficult to remove using a multi-tool scraper. If so, did your topcoat adhere OK? I was either going to use a deck resurfacer product or paint on bedliner material. I really don't want to commit to removing this layer without knowing how difficult it will end up being.
                  [ATTACH=JSON]**"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_7052.jpg","data-attachmentid":1256098}[/ATTACH]
                  The only thing under my carpet was marine wood with a thick layer of dried up carpet glue. i just sanded it with 120 grit and then painted it with "total boat topside paint". I did two thick coats, let it dry for a day and then stuck all my floor on. I probably wouldnt do truck bed liner. Not sure how well the foam would stick. Post your completed floor when you're done!

Comment

Completed and put back together
                    Attached Files

Comment

Stonewall,

The boat looks great! FYI, I'm doing Deckadence (or generic similar product) so I don't have to worry about a good finish for the EVA foam to stick to. I just need something to seal and protect the floor and provide a somewhat grippy surface for the Deckadence to lay on. I've read that people use herculiner or a deck resurfacer product like Behr DeckOver

Comment

You did such a great job. I'm jealous! Looks professional.

Comment

Stonewall, you inspired me. I did a very similar job on my 2005 22v. My flooring under the carpet was a little different but I got it resurfaced with bondo epoxy.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Majr808 That looks great! Really changes the feel of the boat

Comment

Looks like a new boat. How long did this take you @Mejr808?
                              On another note, is your captain's chair original? It's much nicer than the one on my '05 22V.

Comment

Working...
                              X