Hard Impeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Impeller?

I just purchased a '01 21V, Merc 350, that has ~350 hours on it . I had it checked out and even a compression check done at a marina service dept since this never ending winter made it impossible to test drive.

The owner had the impeller changed two seasons ago and gave me an extra. I was planning on using the extra to replace the one on the engine currently, before this years season. My question is, the extra is very stiff. It's in the plastic housing (where the water lines connect) and won't even budge side to side, or turn. Isn't it suppose to be a little flexible and more pliable? Should I just order a new one?

This site is awesome! So many great tips!

Thanks in advance,

Barefoot

I would order a new one to be safe. The hassle factor is not worth it when the season is underway and potential engine damage can be much worse. My 2 cents

Comment

Amen to that. For 30 bucks or so it is cheap insurance to replace every year. It is such a letdown to have everyone in the boat ready for a great day and suddenly the motor starts overheating and alarms start going off. Happened to me and we were still in the marina. Would hate to have it happen in the middle of the lake. Do it every season, you won't regret it.

Comment

So where's the best place to buy an impeller? The dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by wakeatx View Post
          So where's the best place to buy an impeller? The dealer?
          X2...I'd like to know as well. My dealer is 2 hours away. I'd prefer to order something an impeller online...like to keep one on hand just in case...

Comment

Send a PM to SPBFan or Chpthril (depending upon location) and they can order you one.

Or you can order one from eBay. But you will take your chances there.

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
              Send a PM to SPBFan or Chpthril (depending upon location) and they can order you one.

Or you can order one from eBay. But you will take your chances there.
              Thanks...I'll start with them...

Comment

Me too. Thanks.

Comment

Do a search on the forum and there is a thread that has part #'s and links to order them.

Comment

I ordered one from SPBFAN. He had it to me in 3 days and the price was fair.

Comment

Working...
                    X