fixing-up paint chips in trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fixing-up paint chips in trailer

I have a 2007 24ve that is green with a matching extreme green painted trailer.

-my question is how can i best fix the chips in the paint one is big about 3x3"? the metal is showing and i am unsure how i can get the correct paint color, and if it needs to be primed first?

Also i wanted to know if i should travel with or without my cover on? It seems like the straps that attach to the trailer from the cover rub on the boat and trailer and cause the trailer to chip and boat to rub a haze look into the gel coat. How can i prevent this?

any help is great as this is my first boat and i am very new to all this.....

thanks

If there's any rust on the metal of the trailer, sand down to bare metal, maybe even checking the edges of the chip to see if the rust has penetrated under the paint. If so, remove that paint and sand to bare metal. Prime with a good water sealer/marine primer, sand and apply paint to repair area. I'd wet sand between coats and put a few more on as well. If you do need to remove a chip of paint from the trailer, take it with you and it can be used to color-match.

If you don't need the cover for rain or other protection, there's really no need to tow with it on. A loose, flapping cover can really mess up gel coats. If you needed it for security (keep animals/people out), put it on when you reach your destination.

-Mike
    Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

Find a stop were you can a 1" x 1" chip of paint. Take it to an auto paint store and they can match it up. Prime bare stop, when dry sand area with 150, then 300 grit sand paper. Sand area and surrounding area with 600g sand paper. Mask surrounding then spray prepared area. Fixed

Comment

Working...
      X