Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Sand Spike (for anchoring on the beach)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Sand Spike (for anchoring on the beach)

I was looking for the sand spikes for tying the boat off to the shore while anchored in the front and found that they are all $50+. I felt like that was more than I wanted to spend so I thought I would make my own and try it out.

I bought a 30" long piece of 1" diameter threaded steel gas pipe and a threaded T for the rope to go through. I then took a cutoff wheel and put a 45 degree angle on the one end to go into the sand easier. Total cost $11 with tax. I might weld on some ears later on but didn't feel like doing that tonight.

I think this will work, I will be trying it out this weekend and post back in here.

What, no pics? tsk tsk
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

My wife has the danged camera. I will take a pic with my BB and see if it's good enough.

Comment

Here's a pic - not much to see.
        Attached Files

Comment

That is awesome. I assume then that you plan on just hammering it in?

I bet it works great. The sand spike that I have sort of has it's own built in hammer which is nice, but hardly a necessity...for $125.
          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

You could probably build a slide hammer into it by adding another T in the middle and a larger diameter pipe in between the T's?
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Yep, I have a 5lb sledge hammer that I am going to use. I like the idea of making the built in slide hammer. I'll see how this works first!

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                Yep, I have a 5lb sledge hammer that I am going to use. I like the idea of making the built in slide hammer. I'll see how this works first!
                the slide hammer would be easy to make too, just take a small piece od 1 1/2" pipe, slide it on and then weld two pieces of metal where you want the pipe to stop in the sand......good cheap idea Timmy
                "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Why not just use a dog tie out? I have used one of these before with some rope. Works well when you are in a calm cove and you just screw down in the sand. Really cheap and compact.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've used a dog tie out and it ends up getting pulled out of the sand. Must be doing something wrong.

Comment

^^^^ That is exactly what I use if there isn't a tree available. However, I did use it where the beach wasn't total sand but a sand dirt clay mix

Comment

I thought about the dog tie out and this other large plastic spike thing that they had a Lowes but decided that this was the best bang for the buck. If the dog tie out went in deeper, I think I would go with it. I'm not looking to hold the boat in high winds or anything but it is windy here in CO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast1911 View Post
                          the slide hammer would be easy to make too, just take a small piece od 1 1/2" pipe, slide it on and then weld two pieces of metal where you want the pipe to stop in the sand......good cheap idea Timmy
                          I like that idea! Could even use a bolt instead of welding a piece on I guess!

Comment

Here's a solution i came up with that works in all situations.

The Stake;
                            A 24" steel rebar stake from Home Depot. It's solid steel and comes to a sharp point on one end. These things can be pounded through anything and it doesn't even dull the point!

The Case;
                            A piece of 3/4" white schedule 40 PVC irrigation pipe cut 26" long. Glue a 3/4" slip cap on one end and on the other end another cap i push on to insert or remove stake. Keeps stake away from boat interior and stake does not rust.

The Hammer;
                            Two pound mini 'glass handle sledge from Harbor Freight i wrap in towel and keep in locker.

Use;
                            Pound stake in at roughly a thirty degree angle, tie a loop in the rope and drop over stake to the ground, place rock on rope and it'll never come loose. Done this in wind & chop and works beautifully. Total cost about $15
                            "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

When I went to the store I was looking for exactly what you are describing but couldn't find one - guess I should have gone to Home Depot instead of Lowes!

Comment

Working...
                              X