Steering alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering alignment

I have a 2003 22i and I just changed the steering cable but now the steering is out of alignment. Does anyone know the procedure to properly align the steering?

Originally posted by Prary View Post
    I have a 2003 22i and I just changed the steering cable but now the steering is out of alignment. Does anyone know the procedure to properly align the steering?
    Get the Rudder to center, pull off the 4 bolts under the helm and pull off the rack. Adjust the steering wheel accordingly and reattatch the rack.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I centered the rudder, pulled the rack, centered the wheel and tightened the rack back up but now it turns farther to the right than to the left. I don't remember it doing that before but maybe it is supposed to?

Comment

Have you considered fine tuning the steering "dead nuts center" while on the water? Just a thought.

Comment

Turns farther to the farther to one side by means of the wheel or the rudder?
          Common Sense is not so Common
          Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I haven't triedit on the water yet but I think I need to take it out and see how it is. It is both the rudder and the wheel that turns farther in one direction.

Comment

When the steering wheel is not bolted in to the steering cable assembly, does the rudder turn freely to both sides evenly?

Comment

It does move freely. I think the problem is that when I changed the cable I removed the adjusting tube just in front of the tiller arm and now I can't get it adjusted back to the proper alignment.

Comment

Simply putting the rudder straight will get you close but not perfect.

Drive the boat straight. Make a mental note of the steering wheel orientation. when you are finished boating turn the wheel to the exact position you noted when going straight. loosing the four bolts holding the cable onto the rack. Enough to disengage the rack to cable gears. Rotate the steering wheel straight (if the bolts were loose enough the rudder will stay put). Now tighten the 4 bolts again.

Comment

Working...
                  X