Back Flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Flushing

I changed my MP 6.0L 400HP impeller this weekend and my water temp is still a little warm. (I think) It pretty much stays around the 170's mark but has been as warm as 178 deg. I thought around the 150's is what I want? I read someplace about "back flushing" my cooling system. Just wondering if thats something I should do, and how to do that. Thanks.

My 6L 380HP always runs just above the half way mark (175 I think).
    "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
    "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

I don't know what the spec's are, but I believe my Tige runs about 170 to 180. I would think that anything colder than that would make your engine run rich and build up some carbon. The next step, if you are still concern, is to replace the thermostat and look inside to see if there is a good reason to backflush or use a chemical agent to disolve any build up. There is no radiator so the system is pretty wide open, so it would have to be a big blockage to cause a problem. I think if the temp is concerning you after the t-stat replacement, I would look at the gauge and make sure that it is accurate. Maybe the sending unit is off and you may need to measure the voltage on the coolant temp sensor to see what its reading is or have someone with a marine scanner to see what the ecu is seeing as the temp. The coolant temp sensor is usually more reliable.

HTH

Brian

Comment

Were any of the veins missing on the old impeller you took out?

When I changed mine, some were missing. I followed the route the water takes and removed the hose. I found several veins mashed up against a grate along with a lot of sea weed. It was covered so badly that I'm surprised any water was making it through. (By the way I never got any alarms or noticed a temp rise.) Now I make sure that grate it spotless any time I change the impeller.

I'd check this even if your impeller was intact. Sea weed or other debrit can clog it.

Comment

Originally posted by jsz View Post
          Were any of the veins missing on the old impeller you took out?

When I changed mine, some were missing. I followed the route the water takes and removed the hose. I found several veins mashed up against a grate along with a lot of sea weed. It was covered so badly that I'm surprised any water was making it through. (By the way I never got any alarms or noticed a temp rise.) Now I make sure that grate it spotless any time I change the impeller.

I'd check this even if your impeller was intact. Sea weed or other debrit can clog it.
          My impeller was intact, but I bet their might be some other stuff in the grate like you had. I'll have to check that. What is your water temp normally at? Thanks.

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply. I was gone for the summer.

Since I started paying attention to the temp, it has always been at 170 when warm. I'm not sure how accurate that is though because my volts show 13.2 when my portable volt meter shows 14.2

Comment

170 degrees Fahrenheit sounds like it is in the correct range IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X