Strut Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut Question

Today I turned my Prop manually and it felt like the Shaft was grinding in the Strut. What kind of bushing is in there and are they are to replace?

I have a 21iR

The water lubes the strut bearing.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Is it normal to grind like metal on metal when turning the prop by had or should it be very smooth?

Comment

Zad's right. I hope you didn't put it into gear while out of the water
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I could be wrong,but isn't there a strut bushing in there? My other inboards had them.

Comment

Originally posted by lightning59 View Post
            I could be wrong,but isn't there a strut bushing in there? My other inboards had them.
            Yes, there is, but it will make a squealing sound as it burns up if you run it out of the water. It's designed to be lubed and cooled by the water.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I turned it by hand about 3\4 of a turn. It was not on or in gear. I was just wondering how often the bushing needs to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingwiley View Post
                I turned it by hand about 3\4 of a turn. It was not on or in gear. I was just wondering how often the bushing needs to be replaced.
                Shouldn't need to be replaced unless its seriously damaged or worn out. Which isn't very typical and also you would know if its worn out.
                Common Sense is not so Common
                Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

its normal for them to make a bunch of noise when you turn them by hand like that.as long as there is no side to side or up and down play you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X