Transmission Dip stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Dip stick

I first purchase the boat last year, 2008VE, and was at that time shown how to check the transmission fluid, run the boat for about 15-30 min then let it sit for about 5-10 in the water and check the levels. Everything checked out fine but when I watched him do it, I did not see anything on the dip stick after he wiped it off and put it back in and pulled it out. I thought I had a bad angle. When I checked it myself all of last year (27 hours) unless I had it on the trailer with it cranked up never saw the fluid, I added some breakin in fluid that they recommended and accidently spilled some, not much, maybe 20 cc that poured over the edge as I was putting in it in. I added 0.5 qt. After that run I notice, which seem to more more than expect, fluid mixed with water in the bottom of the boat. Anyway, if I would put another longer probe in there, there was always fluid at a constant level. I had it dewinterized, by good professional people, got on the lake, ran for an hour, let it sit for 30 minutes, again no fluid on the transmission dipstick, using the same metal probe it is at the same level.

I noticed that the dipstick from the v drive and the transmission were the exact same size and had the same serial numbers. I took a pic, though it is very blurry, I believe the numbers to be 3311 301/003

I think that it is odd for them to be both the exact same. When feeling inside the transmission case, there is a little "cast iron" smooth outpouching to the right of where the dip stick hole goes, then there is a opening that goes deeper where I probe and find the fluid, the dipstick only goes to the top of the outpouching.

My ultimate longwinded question is, are the two dipsticks identical, or have I been running the eninge for 30 hours with no transmission fluid.

Thanks again for all of the great support from the other owners. As a newbie I really appreciate it.
    The worst day of boating is still the better than the best day of work......, unless you bend your prop.

I suggest sucking all the fluid out and replacing it with the whatever the recommended quantity is. Then you can tell if the dipstick is reading correctly.

Comment

Thought about that, but did not know if simply sticking a hose down and trying to form some sort of vacumm to remove the fluid would be accurate. I do not know if there is a baffle system where there are small partially seperate chambers, I know that most fluid system have them to prevent foaming and during corning to keep the fluid from pooling on the sides. Chances are it would be straightforward, but having zero expierence and knowledge wanted to gather your opinions.

I appreciate the reply.
      The worst day of boating is still the better than the best day of work......, unless you bend your prop.

Comment

I have a 2008 Z1 with a ZF-45 IV V Drive and Transmission. Both dip sticks are the same length part # 3311-301-003.

I checked my trans and V drive this past Fall (at my 25 hour) and noticed I had 30 weight engine oil in my trans and V drive. After reading the V drive owners manual, all I could read was replace with automatic trans fluid. Not sure why I had 30 WT oil, so I sucked both the V drive and transmission dry and replaced with transmission fluid. I called Tige and could not get anyone to tell me anything other than use what the owners manual states. NOTE: if you over fill the V drive or transmission, you will notice (after driving possibly at full throttle) fluid will get released from the blow over stem (breather) on top of the casing. I had this problem and noticed fluid mixed with my water in the bottom of the hull. I later noticed it came from the tran and V drive breather stems.
        I recommed reading your owners manual, drain your fluid and measure what you put back in.
        Attached Files
        Nick
        Dayton, Ohio

Comment

Great post!
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Thanks very much, I will suck and replace. At all three Tige dealerships that I have talked to, they recommended the ATF for break in and then at the 25 hours check they all said they would switch to 30W oil. The last dealer who has a very busy marina boat repair, said that due to the fact that there is only two gears, and the relative light load placed, that he very rarely ever sees issues with the transmission, even after going 10yrs with out changing fluid.

Thanks for the great reply, will do that this weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X