How thick is the transom wall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How thick is the transom wall?

How thick is the transom wall (2009 22Vé specifically)?

The PCM engine has a single exhaust. For structural purposes, I am going to install a dummy exhaust outlet as part of a Fresh Air Exhaust install and want to make sure I use the proper length of screws.

Also, does anyone know what size pilot hole to drill in fiberglass for a #12 screw? It is 7/64" for wood. Being a rookie when it comes to drilling into fiberglass, I don't know if that translates the same.

I will document the installation in a separate thread.

transom wall

i would use a 1-8th inch drill bit for a pilot hole, the thickness is roughly a 1inch thick, make sure to use some high grade marine sealant.
    surf till u die.

Comment

Originally posted by 18c racing View Post
      i would use a 1-8th inch drill bit for a pilot hole, the thickness is roughly a 1inch thick, make sure to use some high grade marine sealant.
      I'm thinking more like 1/3 to 1/2 of an inch with some of the pictures of fiberglass some have posted here.

Comment

Thanks! I plan on using some 3M adhesive/sealent 5200.

Comment

Its not as thick as you would perceive....
          Common Sense is not so Common
          Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by ImaPigDog View Post
            Thanks! I plan on using some 3M adhesive/sealent 5200.
            Don't forget to use some fine sandpaper around the edges of the hole once you are finished. That will help to reduce the chances of spider cracks. But again, you have a three year gelcoat warranty that if you cause spidercracks from what you are doing, it isn't covered. Thinking about this, you might want the dealer to make those holes so it's still can be warrantied.

Comment

My transom was over 1" thick.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Dr Mann has an single outlet FAE for the CC's, do they not have the bracket setup yet for the 09 Tige?
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  Dr Mann has an single outlet FAE for the CC's, do they not have the bracket setup yet for the 09 Tige?
                  Yes he does. However, the Correct Craft has the slide gate rather than the trim tab. To clear the trim tab, it has to extend out approximately 9" from the transom. The CC is far less than that. It also depends on where the hangar brackets are able to be mounted on the swim platform. I believe the CCs have a center bracket on the platform that it can be mounted to.

Dr. Mann is great to work with. He and I discussed different ideas/options and we ultimately decided to go with a dummy exhaust outlet and the standard symmetrical structure that fits the dual exhaust. He may eventually come up with a different design for this.

Comment

Working...
                  X