Suggestions for intermittent beep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for intermittent beep

This is my first post but I read alot of threads on this website and it seems to help alot of fellow Tige owners out.

I purchased a 2003 22v with a Mercruiser 350 MPI last summer and I'm having a few issues early this season. At the end of last season, an intermittent beep started and the temp gauge began not working. I just got word from the mechanic who was doing a few minor things (mainly changing the impeller) that the beep is still alive. He has checked everything he can think of, but of course he doesn't have a computer to hook up to the engine to diagnose it. Therefore, I'm going to have to drag it to Tulsa so a dealer can diagnose it (they claim they are two weeks out, WOW!) The dealer said it sounds like a sensor is unplugged but my mechanic can't seem to find one.

Anyway, I'm headed down tomorrow afternoon to pick it up and I'm just looking for some help/suggestions so I can hopefully fix it myself. I'll do my best to answer any questions you throw my way.

Thanks for the help.

When that happened to me, it was my fuel pressure regulator. It will beep intermittently when there's not enough fuel pressure.

I would hook it up to a computer before you spend too many more $$$
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

dogbert, were you having idling problems when your fuel pressure regulator went out?

Comment

Originally posted by jslade11 View Post
        ... The dealer said it sounds like a sensor is unplugged but my mechanic can't seem to find one. ...
        All the sensors have a wire or two. Try reseating the connectors.
        Engine knock sensor is down low on the right side of the engine, under the exhaust manifold, behind the raw water pump.
        Temp sensor is on the thermostat housing - one for the computer and a second for the dash gauge.
        Fuel pressure sensor is on the left fuel rail, inside, toward the rear, under a relay making it hard to see.
        Oil pressure sensor is mounted (not sure) on left side of the block, under the exhaust manifold.

What was happening when the alarm went off last season?
        How did the impeller look? It could have caused temps to climb just enough to set of the alarm.
        Low engine oil level could cause also trigger the alarm when letting off full throttle.

Comment

Only time it happened to me was when my high pressure fuel pump was going bad, but whenever it beeped the engine would die soon after it started. If the engine is running good I'm not sure what it could be
          "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

I found someone that could hook it up to a computer down at Lake Tenkiller, OK and it appears to be the idle control valve. Not a big deal and hopefully this will solve my problem.

R&T Babich, it wasn't doing anything real funny when the alarm went off last season and all the gauges looked fine. It was actually more annoying than anything. The impeller looked pretty rough and the computer said it did get a little hot (once) at the end of last season. He said everything else looks good and that is great news to me.

Thanks for all the replies. This is a very helpful site.

Comment

the IAC was giving a code
              just clean it

the other alarm on these motors are the water pressure sensor
              merc had a bad batch of them
              HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED
              switchbait.com

Comment

Working...
              X