Poor mans dual battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor mans dual battery

I have read how to make a 2nd dual battery system on the site, but having zero confidence in my abilities not to get electrocuted or start a boat fire, I would like to have the benefits of a back up battery without the need for an electral engineering degree. I only have a starting battery.

I have a stock radio and speakers which we rarely use, other than a recently installed heater, i really do not use much energy.

Could I simply buy another marine battery, put it in battery box, keep it there, if I do drain my other battery, take some jumper cables connect it to the other battery and start the boat. I usually put the battery on trickle charge once a month anyway, so making sure it stays charged would not be an issue.

Thanks for the input.
    The worst day of boating is still the better than the best day of work......, unless you bend your prop.

Yes
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes but why go that far???

Example: Sears Jumper Battery

Comment

A BIG X2 on the jump box. More user friendly then a 2nd battery used just for jump starting. When the jump box needs recharged, just plug it in to the house.

A 2nd battery is REAL simple. There are probably .5 dozen threads and diagrams floating around here and always someone to help with ???'s
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          A BIG X2 on the jump box. More user friendly then a 2nd battery used just for jump starting. When the jump box needs recharged, just plug it in to the house.

A 2nd battery is REAL simple. There are probably .5 dozen threads and diagrams floating around here and always someone to help with ???'s
          Especially if you just install a switch.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
            Especially if you just install a switch.
            Theres is a guy on WW who works for a company that has an ACR that is supposed to work like the Blue Sea but he sells for a little more then $50, that's not much more then a Perko. Its on my list of things to look into!
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
            X