Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plugs

I have an 02 22IR with the Mecr 5.7L 315 hp engine. It came with AC Delco 41-932's and the number has since changed to a 41-993. I try to do as much maintenance as I can, but when I had it into a shop they changed my plugs and put Ac Delco MR43LTS plugs in it.

1. I feel like I am burning more fuel these days. (is it an ethenol issue?)

2. Is this the correct plug?

3. recommendations please

Originally posted by dejoeco View Post
    I have an 02 22IR with the Mecr 5.7L 315 hp engine. It came with AC Delco 41-932's and the number has since changed to a 41-993. I try to do as much maintenance as I can, but when I had it into a shop they changed my plugs and put Ac Delco MR43LTS plugs in it.

1. I feel like I am burning more fuel these days. (is it an ethenol issue?)

2. Is this the correct plug?

3. recommendations please
    How many hours on your boat? It might be time to de-carbonize it.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I have about 550 hours on it.

Comment

what do you mean by "de-carbonize"

Comment

Removing the carbon buildup that invariably forms on the valves.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Back to my original question about the plugs and then how do you remove the carbon?

Comment

Not sure about the plugs. However, if you're burning fuel, then it may not be the plugs. At 400 hours, you want to replace the plug wires, too. I'd also check your distributor cap. Merc distributor caps don't last very long.

I put some Sea Foam in my gas to remove some of the deposits. SPBFAN's got a better way, but then he has all the cool toys.

Comment

Not 100% sure of the plug cross-ref, but the MR is a Declo Marine plug. Ethenol will reduce fuel mileage. If your engine is port injected, the valves get de-carboned each time the injectors pulse, at least the back sides do, which is where carbon has a tendency to build up on carburated engines and can soak up the fuel-charge, creating a lean condition, low performance, thus more throttle in put from driver resulting in more fuel consumption. Carbon build up on the pistons and combustion chambers tend to cause an increase in compression ratio which creates more heat in the cylinder resulting in spark-knock/pre-ignition. I would be more worried about this then a drop in fuel range.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The engine is a throttle body fuel injection.

Comment

Working...
                  X