2002 21V Hydraulic Steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 21V Hydraulic Steering?

I have a 2002 21V with a small block chevy, and I would like to upgrade to hydraulic steering. It doesnt look like a very easy install. Has anyone done this? If so, what type of cylinder/helm pump did you use and do you have any input on the installation process?

Originally posted by carrothead View Post
    I have a 2002 21V with a small block chevy, and I would like to upgrade to hydraulic steering. It doesnt look like a very easy install. Has anyone done this? If so, what type of cylinder/helm pump did you use and do you have any input on the installation process?
    While I'll admit that I need a new steering cable, may I ask why you want to do this? No flame, just curious. There are many other fun and productive ways to spend money on a boat.

Comment

If your reason is because the steering on your boat is stiff, you probably just need to replace the steering cable. I just replaced mine last year. Big difference! There is even a, how to do it yourself, thread on this site.
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by noworries View Post
        ...why you want to do this? ...
        X2 noworries

Our 2000 21V has around 90 hrs.
        The steering is very easy to turn and doesn't wander at all.
        Your cable may be corroded or the rack is worn.

Comment

Originally posted by R&T Babich View Post
          X2 noworries

Our 2000 21V has around 90 hrs.
          The steering is very easy to turn and doesn't wander at all.
          Your cable may be corroded or the rack is worn.
          You need to get out more!
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
            You need to get out more!
            I know.
            I think we actually have around 110 hrs on it. Haven't been out since Sept.
            We've had it for 2 summers and didn't get out as much the first year.
            There were a few problems to work out after it sat for 2 years.
            We put 50 hrs on it last summer - a week at Lake Berryessa and 8 trips to Lake Piru.

Comment

I know.
              I think we actually have around 110 hrs on it. Haven't been out since Sept.
              We've had it for 2 summers and didn't get out as much the first year.
              There were a few problems to work out after it sat for 2 years.
              We put 50 hrs on it last summer - a week at Lake Berryessa and 8 trips to Lake Piru.
              Ah, I thought you'd owned it for a while. Must not have had a lot of hours on it when you bought it.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                ... Must not have had a lot of hours on it when you bought it.
                It was 6 years old and had 41 hrs.
                There was a small chip in the nose from a dock, a rub/scratch on the transom from a tarp, scratches on the tower from a dog chain and a blue streak on one seat from something that got wet. Other than that it was like new.

Back to topic - the steering is really smooth. From suggestions on other posts I always turn the steering left to retract the cable when not in use so the shaft is not exposed. I also turn the wheel full range when I turn over the engine each month when it's stored.

Comment

I know.
                  Have to hijack briefly, especially since the OP is AWOL. I basically learned to ski on Piru, before Castaic and Pyramid were built. Is the Round Rock Rest Home still there on the corner in Piru? We used to laugh every time we passed that white painted boulder sitting out front. Those were good times -- hooking up the boat to the '66 Pontiac after school and heading out with some buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by noworries View Post
                    ... Is the Round Rock Rest Home still there on the corner in Piru? ...
                    I don't recall seeing anything like that. I will watch for it next trip.
                    I learned in the '70s behind a friend's Tahiti jet, 455 Olds, no bimini, no engine cover, no wakeboards. At least it didn't have over transom exhaust. We went to Silverwood, Mojave, Nacimiento, Lopez, Isabella and Powell. Great times. My friend now has a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter.
                    Our kids - Jake (15), Sandy (14) and Gary (12) learned at Piru and Pyramid.
                    We also go to Lake Berryessa in Napa county once a year with 3 other couples. Great lake!

Comment

Working...
                    X