Do I need another battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need another battery?

After reading about the Heatercraft heater, I am going to have the 300 series installed over the winter. I currently have a 2008 Ve with only one battery. I almost never use the radio or lights. Is one battery enough or should I also add a second battery. If necessary I will but it looks like it is going to be around one grand just for the heater and install.

Also, do they have to run the boat to test it out, since it is already winterized.

Thanks.
    The worst day of boating is still the better than the best day of work......, unless you bend your prop.

1) Adding a 2nd battery is just a plain good idea, if for no other reason but to have a back-up.

2) Engine has to be running in order to heat the water and circulate it up to the heater core, so there wont be much of a load on the battery, as the alternator will be replenishing it at the same time.

3) For a $1k bucks, which seems a little high IMO, I would really like to know that my boat is sea worthy come Spring. To what degree is the engine winterized, is the block just drained or is it filled with marine/rv antifreeze? If it were me, I would schedule it with the dealer to do it in the Spring when the weather begins to warm up, this way, no need to re-winterize, including the new heater, and they will be able to sea trial.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have read all of the heater installs on the forum and the average price for install seems about 400, the Heatercraft 300 series is right at 500. I looked around at different marine sites and the prices were the same. I thought 1 grand is a bit much too. I also looked at some of the other heater companies but everyone, except those on salt water, is happy with Heatercraft
      The worst day of boating is still the better than the best day of work......, unless you bend your prop.

Comment

You wont need a second battery just for the heater upgrade. A second battery is a good idea to have just as Mike said, but it does nothing to assist the heater system. The heater is useless unless the engine is running at a higher RPM. There wont be any time that you will use the heater with the engine off/not running.
        I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

Working...
        X