Vinyl interior coming apart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl interior coming apart.

This is my first post (not too experienced with forums). Hopefully I get it right.

My question is about the interior of my 05 20V. It has the "snakeskin" looking vinyl used as an accent. The accent pieces are totally coming apart, not at the seams, but each little diamond shaped piece is seperating from the others. It started with the three panels over the engine and storage areas, but has spread to just about all the other pieces. I have been religious about cleaning and protecting the interior since day one, I have also used the recommend products. The boat is kept undercover but unfortunately is doesn't fit in my garage.

The local dealer said it was a common issue and has recommended against it on new boat purchases. They were willing to provide me with replacement vinyl, but said I would have to pay to have it installed. I have gotten several quotes from upholstery shops that range anywhere from $400-$500 just for the back three panels.

Is this normal for the labor to not be cover by the warranty?

I purchased the boat new in August of 06, and my paperwork shows the interior to have a 5 year warranty. I'm disappointed that it looks like I'm going to have to pay to redo the complete interior of my 2 year old boat. Any ideas?

Originally posted by scmbmw View Post
    This is my first post (not too experienced with forums). Hopefully I get it right.

My question is about the interior of my 05 20V. It has the "snakeskin" looking vinyl used as an accent. The accent pieces are totally coming apart, not at the seams, but each little diamond shaped piece is seperating from the others. It started with the three panels over the engine and storage areas, but has spread to just about all the other pieces. I have been religious about cleaning and protecting the interior since day one, I have also used the recommend products. The boat is kept undercover but unfortunately is doesn't fit in my garage.

The local dealer said it was a common issue and has recommended against it on new boat purchases. They were willing to provide me with replacement vinyl, but said I would have to pay to have it installed. I have gotten several quotes from upholstery shops that range anywhere from $400-$500 just for the back three panels.

Is this normal for the labor to not be cover by the warranty?

BTW, welcome to the site and post pictures of your boat. We all love to see pictures of the various Tige boats.

I purchased the boat new in August of 06, and my paperwork shows the interior to have a 5 year warranty. I'm disappointed that it looks like I'm going to have to pay to redo the complete interior of my 2 year old boat. Any ideas?
    If you bought the boat at that time, i would think that the vinyl would still be under warranty. I might be wrong but I thought the vinyl was only a 3 year warranty...

Comment

May need to double check the fine print, Tige covers the boat for 3yrs - 1st = parts and labor, 2nd/3rd = parts only. Other items like carpet, vinyl, gauges, and other options may be covered for longer by that Manf. It is normal for the suppliers of these products to not cover labor, example: Faria instruments = life time warranty, but does not cover R&R or shipping.

Welcome to the forum.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have read much on vinyl problems on relatively new tige boats. I do not get it. I bought a sea ray back in 1985 and did not have any tears or vinyl comming apart or for that matter any other problem for 15 years. It was in the sun, we waterskied and got it wet, walked on it. After 15 years it did start to crack, discolor and we replaced it, but that was 15 yrs of abuse. What is going on with the vinyl these days?

Comment

everything is made cheaper these days. Remember when your washing machine would last 20 yrs?

Comment

However, Tige's vinyl has gotten better over the years.

Comment

Thanks everyone. The rest of the interior is in great condition, it's just that one product they used as an accent. I checked my paperwork, chpthrill is right, its covered for 5 years but by the vinyl company only.

I guess I'll be paying to have it fixed myself. I won't be using the same stuff though. Don't want to be in the same situation in another two years!

Anyone know a good, reasonable upholstery shop in the Phoenix area?

Comment

When I redid the vinyl on my boat, I got the name of a reputable person from my dealer's service manager. They normally sub that stuff out anyways and for him it's just a hassle so he offered to save me time and money by going to the guy directly. So, I'd check a with the service departments of a couple of boat dealers in your area.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

lucky 275
                  made cheaper or is lesser quality material being used? materials 20yrs ago where not available as they are today with uv inhibitors etc and yet they lasted.

Comment

scmbmw,
                    Sorry to hear about you Vinyl issues but the can be cared for. Labor at dealers in my area is $90.00 an hour so if you can get the Marine upholstery it should be a fairly reasonable project.

My 07 20V has the same tangerine color with yellow and white accents. Search for candy corn boat.

I like the orange black combo. It looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
                      lucky 275
                      made cheaper or is lesser quality material being used? materials 20yrs ago where not available as they are today with uv inhibitors etc and yet they lasted.
                      Cheaper materials, cheaper parts, etc. Vinyl on my rear seat is starting to split, and my fake teak platform is warping. I know it happens in every industry. The fuel pump on my Tahoe is a turd, my washing machine / dryer needs to be replaced after about 5 yrs of use. My fridge has been repaired twice. It's funny, my parents had same appliances the entire time I was living with them. I noticed that Avacado is making a comeback this year...too bad they decided to upgrade.

Comment

Ive had a different experience. I had a 1999 yukon same thing as tahoe, same fuel pump from day one. Lasted 8 years and never had a problem. Still workinjg when got rid of the yukon. After 8 yrs the fan clutch went out. That SUV was really great. Dodge Intrepid went 200+ thousand miles before the fuel pump and radiator needed to be replaced. Water pump was still the original one. The uphostery in both was still good. Have a freezer in the garage and its 15+ yrs old still works fine. Last washer and dryer went over 20years and replaced them 4 yrs ago. New ones are used and abused and no problem so far but I do not think I hit 5yrs yet. Maybe i'm just lucky!!!! We will see what happens to the 05 tige.

Comment

I hope you just knocked on wood

Comment

On a similar subject. I have on 06 22ve and, while the vinyl is in okay condition, the seams are not. The exposed thread (on the top corners of the seat back cushions, as well as on the rear deck) is rapidly deteriorating. In some places, the stitches have completely disintegrated, and the only part of the "triple" stitch left is the "simple" old-fashioned stitch from underneath. Has anyone had experience with this? If so, does anyone know if this is covered under the same warranty like above? The boat was purchased new in May of 2006. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tjspacewrangler View Post
                              On a similar subject. I have on 06 22ve and, while the vinyl is in okay condition, the seams are not. The exposed thread (on the top corners of the seat back cushions, as well as on the rear deck) is rapidly deteriorating. In some places, the stitches have completely disintegrated, and the only part of the "triple" stitch left is the "simple" old-fashioned stitch from underneath. Has anyone had experience with this? If so, does anyone know if this is covered under the same warranty like above? The boat was purchased new in May of 2006. Thanks.
                              My 06, purchased 3/06, with 200+ hrs is showing no signs of seam or stitching problems or vinyl wear. How do you care for the vinyl. Should be covered under parts warranty, get with your dealer on it ASAP, as it sometimes takes time to make new skins.
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                              X