Alternator - High Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator - High Amp

I just went to start my 2003 22'V Riders Edition (Merc 350) and saw smoke coming from the engine compartment. Inside I found the serpentine belt had melted and broke. Upon further investigation, found the alternator to be completely seized. I have all the model and serial number for the stock 70Amp alternator, but here is my question. Has anyone replaced the stock 70A alternator with a high amp alternator? If so, what are the spec's on the new unit you installed? Also, did you have to replace the stock wires from alternator. It looks like the stock one are 10 gage.
    RVD

How high and why? Many of the newer boats are running 90A but going past that is a waste of money. If the 70A was doing its job I would stick with it.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

Comment

This thread might help you. It has a lot of good alternator, upgrade information.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=alternator
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Coach, I have 3 amps and 3 batteries and the 70A is just not cutting it.

TeamAllen, Thanks for the link to the other thread.
        RVD

Comment

Originally posted by RDeLacy View Post
          Coach, I have 3 amps and 3 batteries and the 70A is just not cutting it.

TeamAllen, Thanks for the link to the other thread.
          If you haven't already, may want to consider an on-board charger as well, alts are not really designed to recharge run down batteries, but to top one off and keep up with load.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I already have one installed. It does a great job of keeping my Oddessy PC1200 batteries fully charged. The problem is when you are floating with the stereo running, they run low after a while. I would like to have them recharge quicker than they currently do with the 70A.

Does anyone know if DB electrical is still in existance?
            RVD

Comment

I already have one installed. It does a great job of keeping my Oddessy PC1200 batteries fully charged. The problem is when you are floating with the stereo running, they run low after a while. I would like to have them recharge quicker than they currently do with the 70A.

Does anyone know if DB electrical is still in existance?
              I have not heard of a change with DB!

How many stereo dedicated batts do you have, 2? If it's a common thing to run your batteries down, you may want to think about adding a couple more for 2 reasons: It's hard on an alternator to recharge dead batteries, and batteries dont like being run down low and recharged. A higher amp alt will recover the batteries quicker, and with less stress, then the 70A you have now, since you are in need of a new one, it's a good time to upgrade. Adding more batteries will give you more play time, but the discharge load will be spread out across more batteries thus extending the life of all of them.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have a DB alt and love it, also have an onboard charger to keep them topped off when on the trailer, works amazing!!
                Originally posted by G-MONEY
                It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Merc makes a 90 amp replacement, which is what I went with. My original was a 65amp. It's working great for me.
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I also have a DB electrical alt, I think that it is around 160 amp and it keeps all 3 of my batteries charged. I never have to charge them through the boating season and am running 3 amps.

Comment

Will be replacing my alternator in the spring and adding another battery (have to buy 2 deep cycles) so will be calling BD Electrical...

Does anyone store an additional battery on their boat??

Comment

I do not store any batteries on board. 2 batteries are dedicated to the stereo and the 3rd is isolated for starting the boat.

I just ordered a 105amp from DB. There will need to be some modifications as you can see in the thread noted above, the new one is not a dual foot so it is not a direct replacement.
                        RVD

Comment

I do not store any batteries on board. 2 batteries are dedicated to the stereo and the 3rd is isolated for starting the boat.

I just ordered a 105amp from DB. There will need to be some modifications as you can see in the thread noted above, the new one is not a dual foot so it is not a direct replacement.
                          If you look at my stereo install thread you will see how I modified the stock bracket and didn't need to buy anything but some washers.

I just grinded it a bit.

If you have questions just PM me.

I don't store any batteries on board either, just have my 6 for the stereo and one for the start. Never drained it yet. My onboard charger is always charging and keeping them in tip top shape.
                          Originally posted by G-MONEY
                          It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Finally finished the Alternator replacement. I decided on a 105 amp Alt from DB electric. (800-753-2242) It is a 10SI-Marine 3 wire. $69.96 + 15 for shipping.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/atta...1&d=1235277474

I had to do some minor modification similar to the other posts. The lower support bracket needed to be notched approx. 1/8"

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/atta...1&d=1235277530

I also made a small notch in the alternator to accept the support bracket.

I picked up a 5" x 3/8" fine thread Grade 8 bolt and nylock nut. King Bolt also had 3/8" dia. spacers. They did not have a 1 3/4" long one so I had to get a 1" and a 3/4".

This combination was still just a hair long, so I had to gind off a 1/16" on a belt sander.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/atta...1&d=1235278006

Once everything was test fitted, I put loc-tite on everything (except the nylock) and tightend it all up.

Reinstalled the belt.

The last step was to replace the 10 gage power wire with a 4 gage.

Good to go.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by RDeLacy; 02-22-2009, 06:59 AM.
                            RVD

Comment

Wow, good job and great documentation on this process.

Comment

Working...
                              X