Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterizing (Where to get the pink stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing (Where to get the pink stuff)

I have read every thread that I can find on winterizing and I removed all of the blue plugs from my 2001 21i (merc 350 mag mpi) and drained the water. I have a few questions because I do not own a service manual; 1) Is it necessary to remove the knock sensor in order to drain the block or does the blue plug on the opposite side drain the entire block? 2) Where can I get the "pink stuff" (RV antifreeze)? 3) How do I drain the transmission cooling system?

You need to drain both sides of the engine so removing the knock sensor is it if there is not another plug over there.

Do you have a Northern Tool or an RV dealer/service shop close by? Check local boat dealers.

Typically, the easiest way to drain the trans cooler is to the remove the raw water hose from one side and let it drain.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

If I run at least 5 gallons of pink stuff into the system would that eliminate the need to drain the block and trans cooler?

Comment

Originally posted by jchurch6713 View Post
        If I run at least 5 gallons of pink stuff into the system would that eliminate the need to drain the block and trans cooler?
        I have the same boat as you and every year have just pulled the 5 blue plugs, disconnected my 3 shower hoses from the control box, and blown air through my heater core.

Comment

The blue plugs drain the entier system. But residual water resides within and needs to be flushed out with anti-freeze.
          Common Sense is not so Common
          Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Wal-mart sells the pink stuff, $4 per gallon. I got the "bio friendly" version over the Prestone version in case it gets into the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
              Wal-mart sells the pink stuff, $4 per gallon. I got the "bio friendly" version over the Prestone version in case it gets into the lake.
              Marine/RV antifreeze is not the same as a "bio-friendly" automotive antifreeze, just an FYI
              Last edited by chpthril; 10-27-2008, 08:58 PM.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Marine/RV antifreeze is not the same as a "bio-friendly" automotive antifreeze, just an FYI
                No? Here's what I used:
                Attached Files

Comment

No? Here's what I used:
                  That IS the correct stuff, just didnt want anyone to buy an automotive antifreeze/coolant that said it was environmentally friendly. Although some say they are safer, they will still poison the ground water if dumped.

Comment

Oh, I gotcha now! Yeah, you definitely don't want to put automotive stuff in there. Is all of the pink stuff safe for ground water/lakes? I wasn't sure and that's why I went with this one over the other brand.

Comment

What do you do with the stuff in the Spring?

Comment

Oh, I gotcha now! Yeah, you definitely don't want to put automotive stuff in there. Is all of the pink stuff safe for ground water/lakes? I wasn't sure and that's why I went with this one over the other brand.
                        If it clearly states "Marine/RV" its safe for boats and RV water systems.

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
                        What do you do with the stuff in the Spring?
                        The Marine/RV antifreeze is non-toxic. Some people drain it in the spring and catch and reuse, other wise, launch the boat and have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by jchurch6713 View Post
                          I have read every thread that I can find on winterizing and I removed all of the blue plugs from my 2001 21i (merc 350 mag mpi) and drained the water. I have a few questions because I do not own a service manual; 1) Is it necessary to remove the knock sensor in order to drain the block or does the blue plug on the opposite side drain the entire block? 2) Where can I get the "pink stuff" (RV antifreeze)? 3) How do I drain the transmission cooling system?
                          jc, pm sent to you.

Chp, just wanted to ask when I drain the block and I pull the hoses off that go to the thermostate I usually blow air through the hoses. Will this get the water out of the trains cooler? I am not sure about this part. That is all I did last year, but we had a mild winter?
                          Also I am trying to get one last trip to the lake if you are interested, not sure if we will go to belews or norman. Let me know if you are. Thinking about sometime in the next 2 wkends.
                          Last edited by TRD; 10-28-2008, 12:37 AM.
                          Dale
                          2000 21i Tige

Comment

Anyone have pictures for the transmission drain? I always pull the 5 blue plugs before I take it in, just in case it gets chilly before I get to the dealer. Need help on where to add the anti freeze.
                            Also, anyone do anything to make sure sand,dirt gets out of the block? Last plug i pulled had a pretty dirty water discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by insanemc View Post
                              Anyone have pictures for the transmission drain? I always pull the 5 blue plugs before I take it in, just in case it gets chilly before I get to the dealer. Need help on where to add the anti freeze.
                              Also, anyone do anything to make sure sand,dirt gets out of the block? Last plug i pulled had a pretty dirty water discharge.
                              I just wanted to make sure, I have 6 blue cockpit plugs, 3 on each side. I have seen this on a couple of posts.
                              Dale
                              2000 21i Tige

Comment

Working...
                              X