Rust in gas>>fuel filter>>fuel injector problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust in gas>>fuel filter>>fuel injector problems

I have a 1995 - 2002 FSLM. It is powered by a 350 Mercruiser Multi Port fuel injected engine. The boat is new to me this year so I don't know the complete repair history. It's been garaged all it's life and used mainly as a waterski boat - approaching 600 hours. I believe (but not sure) that the fuel tank was usually ran at below half full (opposite of our wakeboarding breathern - to get a smaller wake.) We noticed it was running rich after our waterskiing session this weekend. (almost looked like a two cycle boat exhaust) We took it to a pretty well respected mechanic that seems to know this engine model well and learned.

1) The gas was rusty.
    2) Both fuel filters failed.
    3) Fuel injector Ports 1 and 8 (maybe more) are stuck open.

Current plan: Flush fuel system, new filters, try to get fuel injector ports to operate properly. If not, replace FI ports.

Questions:
    1) Good plan? What else should we be doing?
    2) Apparently Fuel Injector ports for this particular engine are approx$230?!?! That seems high. Does this sound right?
    3) Rusty gas - could our tank have rusted? Does anybody know if the tanks in the mid-90's Tige's were steel?
    4) If a rusty tank, where to get a replacement?

Thanks - if you can't tell from above. I'm really not mechanical. Feel free to add other items I should be thinking about. The boat ran strong all summer (close to 50 hours.) This just popped up out of the blue for us.

Originally posted by rexinsea View Post
    I have a 1995 - 2002 FSLM. It is powered by a 350 Mercruiser Multi Port fuel injected engine. ...
    2) Apparently Fuel Injector ports for this particular engine are approx$230?!?! That seems high. Does this sound right?
    3) Rusty gas - could our tank have rusted? Does anybody know if the tanks in the mid-90's Tige's were steel? ...
    2.) That's probably about right for Mercury Marine. Mallory Marine might have your injectors. Checkout pages 22 & 25 of their catalog: http://www.mallory-marine.com/pdf/InboardFuelSystem.pdf
    If your engine uses the 9-33100, iboats sells them for $131: http://www.iboats.com/Mallory_Fuel_I...view_id.363677
    3.) I'll bet your tank is aluminum. The upper half of your tank may have gotten layers of dried fuel on it that flaked off and clogged up your filters/injectors, and may not actually be rust.

Comment

Working...
    X