Help with Velvet Drive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Velvet Drive???

I have a 2001 21i. I noticed this weekend when I splashed the boat it had a "cavatition" (sp) issue when I was under a load or hit some rough rollers. as the weekend progressed, the issue became worse. From a dead stop, I would give it full throttle and the boat would shutter until I backed off to half throttle. Once at half throttle or less, the boat was fine. Also, at the same time I noticed that the steering has became real stiff. That could be unrelated...

When the boat the boat is crusing at 25 mph, I would give it full throttle and the RPM's would spike to redline, and it would not accelerate. Just vibrate.. Also, while turning under load, the boat seemed like it would cavatate.

The prop is dinged, but not excessive. And I am sure that has some bearing to this issue, but I think that there is more too it then just a small ding on the prop.

So, what I am thinking is that the velvet drive is starting to fail and or the prop shaft is not true. What do you guys think??

Thanks.

Pull the dipstick on the transmission and smell it. If the oil's not burnt, then the problem is likely your prop/shaft. If the transmission is slipping you will most certainly have burnt the oil. Stiff steering may be unrelated and is likely a cable, or a problem with the rudder shaft. Did you hit something that might have gotten both the prop and the rudder? It doesn't take much prop damage to cause major cavitation.

Comment

Dinged prop and stiff steering could be related.

Dinged prop and cavitation usually go hand-in-hand.

Start with a fluid level check as noworries suggested, then check out the rudder/strut alignment. Should think about a prop repair/replacement anyway, but it's hard to say whether or not what you are experiencing is trans slip or prop slip (cavitation/aeration)
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by noworries View Post
        Pull the dipstick on the transmission and smell it. If the oil's not burnt, then the problem is likely your prop/shaft. If the transmission is slipping you will most certainly have burnt the oil. Stiff steering may be unrelated and is likely a cable, or a problem with the rudder shaft. Did you hit something that might have gotten both the prop and the rudder? It doesn't take much prop damage to cause major cavitation.
        The fluid is still pink and smells sweet. So I am pretty sure that the tranny is ok...

I went underneath the boat just now and spun the prop. It was real hard and jerky, and while I was spinning it, I noticed a brass collar floating loosely on the shaft. I am not sure if it came from the strut or it came from the hull. So now, I am thinking that the shaft is bent..

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          Dinged prop and stiff steering could be related.

Dinged prop and cavitation usually go hand-in-hand.

Start with a fluid level check as noworries suggested, then check out the rudder/strut alignment. Should think about a prop repair/replacement anyway, but it's hard to say whether or not what you are experiencing is trans slip or prop slip (cavitation/aeration)
          The prop will be getting repaired, that is for sure. Thanks for the alignment suggestion, I will check that out.

Comment

There are water lubricated bushings in the strut and one may have come out somehow. How 'bout a picture? Did you ever run the engine out of the lake and put the boat "in gear?" Is there any play between the shaft and the strut?

Comment

Originally posted by noworries View Post
              There are water lubricated bushings in the strut and one may have come out somehow. How 'bout a picture? Did you ever run the engine out of the lake and put the boat "in gear?" Is there any play between the shaft and the strut?
              I run it on the fake a lake, but I never have put it in gear.

I took off the prop, and took a closer look at the strut, and it looks like the collar came from the strut. I will take a picture and post it shortly.

Comment

Here is a picture of the shaft and strut housing.
                Attached Files

Comment

You clearly had a strut bushing come out. Its held in by the silver colored set screw you see on the side of the strut. Why did it come out? Was it because of the vibration, or did it cause it? Do you have much play between the shaft and the remaining bushing? You said the shaft turned hard and jerky. Not sure what that means.

Comment

Working...
                  X