strut problem help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strut problem help

i clipped a, well three stumps a few weeks ago. i was maybe going just a touch faster that idle and i felt the first one and before i could think i felt the second one. then a split second later the third that shut the motor off and to boat kept drifting. loaded the boat up and i looked at the prop and it looked to be fine. it is stainless steel. i noticed some wood chips stuck to the front postside of the strut. i thought everything was fine. the next time out on the water i could feel a little viberations. i think that the strut is bent a little because there is about a 1/16" gap on the front portside and a 1/16" gap on the rear starboard side. can this be bend back or do i have to replace this and how much do they cost? where to buy. anything else i should look for? also is it a bad idea to be running the stainless prop? that just what came with the boat.

by the way its a 1994 fslm 2002 comp.

thanks scott

I'd check your insurance policy to find out if you have coverage for this type of issue. If you do, contact your insurance company immediately.

If you bent your strut, your shaft is most likely also bent. You'll need to fix it before causing further damage. I did the same thing, but also bent the rudder. It was about $1400 to fixd all three.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

your collision coverage would handle this type of damage.
      - strut - $250 - 300
      - shaft $300 - 350
      - prop reman $150?
      - should be about 3-4hrs labor.
      ----
      check around your strut mount area for cracking in fiber.
      --
      places to find parts would be elberts.com or skidim.com for starters.

Comment

Working...
      X