Boat died while driving, and would not start again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat died while driving, and would not start again

This is my first posting to the site, I am hoping that I can get some suggestions.
    My Husband is down at Lake Powell with our 2007 21i, and a few days ago he had issues where the engine would not start up after he had been out on the lake (he was towed back ...5 hours later) and we thought it was the starter. We had a new starter overnighted and I drove it down to him.
    It worked fine for a day, and then today he was back out on the lake, and driving back to the marina, and it died-just completely died while running...., no reason...nice day...no big water....and the gauges are frozen where they were when the engine died. He could not get it started, no turn over....nothing.....they were towed back....another 5 hours.
    He has checked the:
    Battery
    Kill Switch
    Ignition Switch
    fluids
    breakers
    fueses
    HELP

1st, how many hours on the boat? When did you purchase (did it sit on a dealers lot for awhile)

How was the battery checked?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Brand new boat, right from the factory. Got it last year June -
      Battery was checked at Marina with tester.
      Just has 100hrs.
      No issues at all last summer.

Comment

I'm thinking bad battery. I know it was checked, but those dang "toaster testers" really are not the best way to check a batter, technology is way too old

What engine do you have, and do you by chance have the EIDB duel battery setup?
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Its a GM Vortec 5.7L MPI 340 HP - Marine Power
          So, if it is the battery- would it stop while already running?
          no, not a duel battery set up.

Comment

Originally posted by csouth View Post
            Its a GM Vortec 5.7L MPI 340 HP - Marine Power
            So, if it is the battery- would it stop while already running?
            no, not a duel battery set up.
            Yes, if a battery falls apart inside and 2 plates short out, it can cause an engine to stall.

Not out of gas is it?..............sticking gas gauge?

Comment

ok, he did have someone try and jump them, nothing.
              no, not out of gas...that is for sure!

any other ideas?

Comment

oh...there is power to the radio

Comment

Originally posted by csouth View Post
                  oh...there is power to the radio
                  Maybe loose connection @ kill switch.

Comment

he did check that connection as well....

Comment

Hmm, you shouldn't really be having to replace the starter after a year, but a shorted battery can cause all kinds of electrical problems.

It should have tested bad though, if that was the issue.
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I have had the battery in my wife's car short out. But you could jump it off to get it started. So I think if that was the case it would have started when you tried to jump it off. I was gonna say the main bus breaker in the engine compartment but wouldn't that kill the radio as well? Sounds like something in the harness is cooked, guages sticking is wierd.
                        How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

I assume you checked the main 50 or 60 amp breaker?
                          "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

And the throttle is in neutral?? Had to ask 'cause sometimes it's the little things.

Comment

I called him this morning, and he was walking out to the boat - because he had realized that he did not check the main engine breaker(he couldnt believe that he hadnt checked that).
                              I think since he had been having issues with starting the boat, he was focused on the ignition, kill switch, fueses behind the dash, etc.

He did reset the main breaker this morning- and it did turn over.

Yes, it is very strange to have to replace the starter after only a year. That is what we thought too, there looked to be some surface rust...(maybe condinsation) - I had called the dealer and they said it was common for the fly wheel to spray up onto the starter if there is a lot of water. But we dont think that was the issue. We also have a 1995 2002FSLM - and have never replaced the starter on it....(got it brand new - when we were ready to get a new one- we decided to stay with Tige) - never had any issues at all with the old Tige.

Now we just need to figure out why the breaker flipped, if this is an issue that will continue....

Comment

Working...
                              X