Insurance $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance $

oooh - sorry i just realized i posted this in the wrong section.

Curious what folks are paying to insure ther boats. I got a quote from my broker today that is right around $300 / year for $500K liability and some add'l coverage for stuff stolen off the boat (up to $1K). It includes the boat & trailer. I paid 15K for the boat (2000 20i) so that's what it is insured for. Is that in line with what others are paying, obviously adjusting for age and cost of boat etc...?

And are most of you adding the boat to your homeowners policy of going to a marine underwriter directly like NMU?

Thanks!
    Last edited by billys; 08-01-2008, 01:35 AM.

Most every state, you will need to get Vessel Policy.

Things to look for:
    Med Pay?
    Agreed Value or ACV?
    Emergency Vessel Assist?
    Accidental discharge cleanup?
    Uninsured boater coverage?
    Does the Liability include water sports coverage?
    Look close at the exclusions.

Price is the last thing to look at, you need to make sure you, your vessel, and guest are covered properly.

Depending on your deductibles, $300 p/yr is not bad.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post

Things to look for:
      Med Pay?
      Agreed Value or ACV?
      Emergency Vessel Assist?

Price is the last thing to look at, you need to make sure you, your vessel, and guest are covered properly.

should have got that for the dog...

yeah, 300/year seems like a really good price. We are at 375/yr, but hold coverage for most of what is listed above. What comapny are you looking at? We have ski-safe.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like all that is covered though I will double check all of it & I need to look into acc discharge as I do not recall seeing that. I went for a highish deductible (500) in order to keep the premium in check. And this quote includes the trailer as well.

Originally posted by chpthril View Post

Things to look for:
        Med Pay?
        Agreed Value or ACV?
        Emergency Vessel Assist?

Comment

We're adding it to our homeowners policy under a "Watercraft" ryder, and the underwriter is Peerless (Liberty Mutual). They have a very strong local presence here and I have personal and biz policies with them so it makes a lot of sense for us to go with them.

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
          What comapny are you looking at? We have ski-safe.

Comment

I'm paying ~$400 a year but I have a newer boat.

Comment

I'm at $310 with BoatUS...pretty nice deal since my State Farm guy quoted me $563.....sheesh!

-Mike
              Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

I have Progressive. $327/year with 1mill. limits for medical/damage/accident whatever they call it with a 500$ deductible. I get a new boat if I let Rushin or Lunchbox drive---oops, I meant if it sinks
                I had Ski-Safe last year, it was more expensive and the coverage was far less than I have now. I was really surprised I got such a good rate for high limits.
                Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Just a thought, price is one thing. The customer service and prompt handling after a claim is another.

Comment

Matt from the Boat Shop (formerly Tige Boats of Nevada) is currently very disappointed in the way Progressive is handling claims and denying associated work. But I don't know if that comes down to the individual adjustor or company as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by billys View Post
                      We're adding it to our homeowners policy under a "Watercraft" ryder, and the underwriter is Peerless (Liberty Mutual). They have a very strong local presence here and I have personal and biz policies with them so it makes a lot of sense for us to go with them.
                      Awesome! I work for liberty!

Comment

Try this place.

http://www.westmarinsurance.com/boat_yacht/
                        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                          That is exactly who I have. They are awesome and take care of their customers. Quick service and very honest to deal with.

Comment

2005 24v with 100,000 liability, 500 deductable, 5k medical, 44k boat, 5k trailer, 1.5k personal effects, 1.5k electronics $490 with AAA. Just got the bill a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
                              2005 24v with 100,000 liability, 500 deductable, 5k medical, 44k boat, 5k trailer, 1.5k personal effects, 1.5k electronics $490 with AAA. Just got the bill a few days ago.
                              IMO, 100k is pretty low. I would venture a guess that the majority of boats on any sizable body of water are well over 100k. Sink one of those and anything beyond 99,500$ is your burden to bear. Take it for what it's worth, but I'd hate to see somebody get ruined because of one (very large) mistake.
                              Aslo if you're correct and not a typo--5k for medical is about 3 stitches, a band-aid, and some gauze. You won't get too far with 5k in a hospital.

just my
                              Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Working...
                              X