Leak question, mystery hole in hull - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak question, mystery hole in hull - HELP

I was getting too much water in my 2004 20V. I took it out of the water and noticed some water coming out of a small hole about quarter inch in diameter (maybe a bit less) situated on the starboard bow side about halfway from the rub rail and the very bottom, just below where the bow compartment under the starboard bow seat is, the hole is about 2 to 3 feet from the very front of the boat. It is below the water line when in the water.
    Question: the hole looks pretty "clean" I suppose, could it be where some sensor input goes? Or did I hit something that poked a hole in the hull, it sure does not look very thick there? Thanks for any information you have . Tim

How long have you owned this boat??? sounds like and accessory upgrade gone bad
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Tige doesn't mount anything there since that part is not always under the water line.

Comment

Did someone mount a bow light too low or something?

Comment

pictures would help, but sounds like something poked ya.
          How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

Do you have any enemies in your neighborhood. Maybe someone drilled a hole in your boat? If something poked through you would think you would have some gelcoat damage. Just a thought as my boat has been messed with.
            Let it be!!!

Comment

wow. that is crazy. GL with getting it dealt with. Did you just notice it or has it been there since you bought it?

Comment

the hole

I will get a photo, did not have camera when I found it, boat about 100 miles away. I got the boat with 65 hours and never noticed it before. I was washing it down and washed into the bow area and when I finished I saw a fairly good drip out of there, first time I noticed it, but as mentioned had been taking on water, thought it might be the shaft seal. There was nothing added to the boat except I added Perfect Pass which I don't think has any thing to do with a hole near the front of the boat. When we put it in the water and took it out again, the water was running out again, and it took on quite a lot in half hour or so, I am guessing it was this hole.
                I could not see into it very well where I was and I poked a screwdriver up it and it seems to hit an inner hull or something, perhaps the bow compartment.
                What strikes me is (a) how thin the hull is there (b) there is no damage to the gel coat or hull right around the hole. It is not "perfect" like drill, but quite clean, as if maybe we hit something hard floating in the water, or maybe getting it on the trailer.
                So, I don't just want to get it fixed (plugged) if it is supposed to be there for some reason and something fell out, like a water temp sensor or something.
                But I really doubt they would put something there, except that it is close to the dash and steering wheel I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by tlarkin View Post
                  I will get a photo, did not have camera when I found it, boat about 100 miles away. I got the boat with 65 hours and never noticed it before. I was washing it down and washed into the bow area and when I finished I saw a fairly good drip out of there, first time I noticed it, but as mentioned had been taking on water, thought it might be the shaft seal. There was nothing added to the boat except I added Perfect Pass which I don't think has any thing to do with a hole near the front of the boat. When we put it in the water and took it out again, the water was running out again, and it took on quite a lot in half hour or so, I am guessing it was this hole.
                  I could not see into it very well where I was and I poked a screwdriver up it and it seems to hit an inner hull or something, perhaps the bow compartment.
                  What strikes me is (a) how thin the hull is there (b) there is no damage to the gel coat or hull right around the hole. It is not "perfect" like drill, but quite clean, as if maybe we hit something hard floating in the water, or maybe getting it on the trailer.
                  So, I don't just want to get it fixed (plugged) if it is supposed to be there for some reason and something fell out, like a water temp sensor or something.
                  But I really doubt they would put something there, except that it is close to the dash and steering wheel I guess.
                  A pointed rock maybe came up and hit the hull while driving?????

Comment

You've just stumped some pretty knowledgeable folks....I think it's pretty safe to assume you need to patch that hole.
                    Nothing should be letting in water like that. If it's a vent for your bow ballast bags it should have some form of collet or thru-hull fitting. Do you have a bow sack? Did you maybe rip off or lose a fitting from the hole? Is there any hose type thing running to it.

You're talking about a boat...manufacturer's aren't in the habit of installing superfluous holes if you know what I mean. Typically holes are frowned upon. ;-)
                    Last edited by Jason B; 07-23-2008, 08:58 PM. Reason: misspelling
                    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

holey S**t

Yeah, I doubt it was a rock or really anything in the water, anything heavy enough would sink you would think, I am guess something came up on the highway. It is very clean, but not like a drilled-hole clean. I am going to plug it this weekend and see if something stops working, but I really am betting it is not supposed to be there, and it is probably easier to fix than getting at the shaft seal on a v drive anyway, which is what I was suspecting was leaking at the outset. I will try to remember to take a photo of it.

Comment

Bullet hole?
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                          Bullet hole?

Comment

Lets hope no bullet holes
                            15 Escalade ESV-Black
                            08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

My co-workers neighbor shot a dude on a jet ski because he was making too many waves by thier docks (on Table Rock Lake). Hit the dude in the ankle with a .22 Now he's in jail and the house is in foreclosure. I'm sure he feels it was worth shooting him

Are you on Table Rock Lake?
                              Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Working...
                              X