Is my Alternator going out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my Alternator going out?

Last night I noticed that when running around 3,000 RPM the volt meter read around 11.5. Seems to me that it should be around 12.5 - 13 to keep the battery charged. Nothing was on except the depth finder, PP & taps. At idle the volts dropped to around 10.

If it is going out should I replace it with a larger Alt? I don't have a large stereo but may add one later.

The engine is MP 335 MPI.

You might want to do a full charge on the battery or test the battery first, then see if you are still getting the low reading. You don't need a bigger Alt. If it is the Alt then just replace it with what is in there now.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by switchme View Post
      Last night I noticed that when running around 3,000 RPM the volt meter read around 11.5. Seems to me that it should be around 12.5 - 13 to keep the battery charged. Nothing was on except the depth finder, PP & taps. At idle the volts dropped to around 10.

If it is going out should I replace it with a larger Alt? I don't have a large stereo but may add one later.

The engine is MP 335 MPI.
      I would say yes. It's either the voltage regulator on the alternator or the entire thing. I had to replace mine because it got wet one too many times (lots of surfing = water in my bilge).
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Mine was doing that last year, replaced the alternator and all was well.
        How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

Check your connections to the meter. I had a very loose connection and mine was doing the same thing.

Comment

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. The only difference is that before I ever noticed the gage reading low my battery was draining when the boat was in storage (it's always connected but I am now in the process of installing a Perko switch and an extra battery). I took the boat out and noticed the low voltage and when I tried to adjust the taps the voltage would drop to zero. I replaced the alternator and aleviated all of my problems.

Comment

I have seen the wire connector on the back of the alternator break and not make a good connection.

Comment

Working...
              X